Buckshot pattern

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by John_Deer, Jan 13, 2014.

1. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

This is a 7 yard shot with a Winchester Super X 3" #00 buckshot at 7 yards with a Maverick 88 with a 20" barrel. I didn't know that Winchester buckshot had two wads until I shot the pizza box. It might not be as tight as a Remington flight control that no one except a magazine writer can find. But if you shot a bad guy in the confines of your home he would catch all 15 #00 pellets. I don't think anyone can wipe off a hit from a #00 buckshot. The shot spread is under 6" at seven yards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

That'll do nicely.

3. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

But was that box from a small, medium, or large pizza? Might help be redneck that pattern in my head and compare it to my Mossberg 18" barrel. Mine does about a man's fist size pattern at 7 yards with 2.75" Federal 00.

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Im gonna say pizza hut box... i shot some winchester buck today out of my stoeger p350 cylender choke and ot didnt do to bad at 5 yards blew up some 2 leters well enough. Either way gettin shot sucks.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Excuse me, that is a large pizza hut box.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Looks pretty darn good, barely 10 inches if that !.............

7. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Mine only has 9 pellets how did you get 15 out of a 00 buck shot shell?

Jim

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

...which would all be great, if a BG, in the confines of your

home, in the dark, was as slow and easy to shoot as a

pizza box, outside, during the day, at your range.

The issue isn't the effectiveness of the buckshot.

It's the ability to bring the shotgun, which is much

more clumsy, with it's longer sight radius, and high

recoil, to bear properly upon the target, in the

time needed, which would be before the BG,

who, if he IS armed, brought a pistol, shoots YOU.

9. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

Note the gap right in the center, I had the same gap out of my 18 inch 20 ga. when I shot a 20 inch circle. The pattern became very loose when the range was in creased to 15 yards and when I used a 21 inch barrel with a modified choke it didn't do any better. Makes you think about buckshot in a different way.

10. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

He was shooting 3in

11. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

They 'kill' on one end and 'cripple' on the other!;)

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Depends on how you train I guess.

13. therukh

therukh New Member

Pattern Size

I did a lot of experimenting with buckshot a number of years ago and found that regardless of choke, as a rule of thumb, the shot column expands about an inch per yard out to ten yards, after which the effects of choke take over. I don't like #00 buckshot very well because of the large gaps in the pattern. I much prefer #1 buck as it is still large (.30 caliber) & has almost double the number of pellets as #00. #4 buck is too small to reliably penetrate once you get out past ten or so yards. So I keep #1 buck loaded in my home defense shotgun for an serious social intercourse in which I might be involved.

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I did the same test last summer from 7 yards with my Mossberg 500 18.5" cyl bore and Federal Power-Shok 2.75" 00 buck, this is what I got, it's hard to tell from pics exactly but it looks like mine is a bit tighter at 7 yards.

Attached Files:

15. RMc

RMc Member

From a hunter's perspective:

With conventional small pellet, (#1B or 00B), buckshot, if the Gun/Choke/Load will not hold a 100% pattern in 10 inches or less at 25 yards it is not worth taking afield!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  16. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Try 3.5 inch in a pump. :eek:

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Good luck with that! I am fairly sure I can shoot a zombie course of fire quicker with a shotgun than most very good shots with a pistol. If I lose a zombie match with a shotgun vs pistol It's by less than a second. That is why I like ZSA matches. You can really shoot CQC preparation with your AR or shotgun.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I can agree with you on the #1 buckshot. The problem is finding #1 buckshot. Even using ammoseek you can't find #1 buckshot anywhere at any price. I shoot 2 3/4" #00 winchester rangers for SD. I have 3" #00 to burn now hunting season is over. I will shoot some targets at longer ranges when I am ready to blow something up for fun.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Once again, this isn't a zombie match. It's the much closer confines of your

house, in the dark, VS someone already awake, and on his feet, armed with a

loaded pistol.

Actually, you have nothing to worry about. After all, you've shot at some

cardboard, and had some zombie drills. Yeah, you're good to go.

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You have a pistol and a lot of time on the internet. Real life training with your pistol or shotgun, none. You are really prepared. Shooting a static target at 10 yards is the best possible preparation :rolleyes:. Now buzz off.