Buckshot for home defense

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by motoh8r, Jul 18, 2013.

1. motoh8r

motoh8r New Member

Just purchased a home defense 12g with an 18.5" barrel...needing opinions on which buckshot loads i should try for the tightest pattern out to around 50 feet. Thanks

2. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

50 feet is quite far, but I have tested some 00 buckshot loads at 75 feet in the short home defense barrels and nothing could beat the patterns of the Hornady 00 2.75" buckshot(critical defense, superformance, Zmax etc., all the same).The standard 00 buck from Federal, Remington, Winchester etc would not land all pellets on a 30" paper at 75 feet as where the Hornady always would, even having 2-3 pellets dead center sometimes, although a lot of the guys on here don't recommend 00 buck for home defense, I use it with no worries.

3. motoh8r

motoh8r New Member

Thanks for the info. I know 50' is far for 18.5"...just thinking worst case.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

In a house you would be looking at 7 yards as a long shot. Your shotgun will pattern approximately 6" at that range. Add an inch of spread per yard of distance. I kept #4 buck in my 12 gauge and #3 buck in my 20 gauge. I believe the standard 2 3/4" #4 buck load is 27 pellets and it is pretty devastating. So is the noise of a shotgun going off inside a house. I highly recommend patterning your shotgun. It will give you the spread and point of aim. You do need to aim. Dont believe the Hollywood hype.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

50 feet and worst case? might want to think about retaining an attorney, because at that distance, they could possibly determine that it's not SD anymore.

i pattern my shotguns and ammo at about 20-30 feet as the longest possible shot within my house is about 25 feet.

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

I like the Federal Flite Control stuff. I have 00 buckshot, have heard good things about their #1 buckshot. The #1 is a bit harder to find.

7. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

He might have a really big house with really long hallways. ;)

8. Axxe55

if he can afford a house with hallways that long, then he shouldn't need a shotgun, but might be better off hiring a guard!:p

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Here is a pretty good illustration if how much tighter the Flight control loads from Federal pattern compared to standard loads. Hornaday Critical Defense and Zmax loads use the same type of shot cup to get the tightest pattern.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot56.htm

10. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Good things to keep in mind if the Jello goes on the warpath.
    I cannot believe the way people obsess over the minute details of the "Home Defense" scenario. If you want that tight a pattern just use a soft lead low recoil slug. I realize that substitutions have to be made because there is no real world data on shotguns actually used in home defense. Much less against hordes of home invaders. Some years ago there was a gun "documentary" I think it was Five American Guns. Guy in Va. Beach who had experienced a couple of break ins bought a single shot 12 and cut the barrel to 18+ inches and bought some cheap 00 or #1 buck, I forget which. Guy broke in and didn't stop when he told him to and he let fly. They showed him cleaning the gore up in his living room. He said he never counted on that part with a grimace. He still had 4 shells left so he was still good to go.
    Any shotgun with just about any buckshot and any or even no choke is going to absolutely obliterate a bad guy in the house, if you hit him. So make sure you do that part first and foremost.

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

Love Theboxoftruth.

Virginian, why not start with the best ammo you can get, just cause Mr. Murphy might stop by. Good point on hitting what you aim at. The most bestest ammo in the world does you little good if you miss.

12. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Have to agree with Axxe here. Depending on the laws of your state, too far away to smell the BG's breath can be taken as manslaughter, not SD. The farthest distance I have patterned my 870 at is 30 feet. My hallways are about that length, but I do have to keep in mind that in most areas of my apartment, the distances would be much shorter.

Here in NY, if there is a way to exit without confrontation, you ARE legally obligated to do so. I live in a second floor apartment with only 1 outside door and six windows. Windows count as exits here, but most LEOs will not charge in cases of obvious SD in my county. Not necessarily the same way elsewhere in the state. Learn the laws of your state, county, town, and hamlet or villiage BEFORE you need to know them.

+1. ^^This^^ brings up a lot of very good points to consider when it comes to HD loads and situations. Not the least of which are noise and the resulting mess of someone failing to comply. Does bissel make a steam cleaner and solution that works well for blood? :D:eek:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  13. Axxe55

KFox, if the BG has come through the front door, an you live on the second floor, i don't see those windows as a viable exit. really seems to me that retreat would be difficult for you.

14. kfox75

Very true Axxe. The problem is, here in NY, none of our laws make sense. Hence the reason The wife and I are saving up to get out of here. Gov. Cuomo is worse than his dad was. I didn't think that was possible, but he is.

After 22 years of living here, I am on my way out of this liberal run hell hole, and looking to move somewhere that citizens still have rights. We are looking into PA and OH for now. I am fed up with the way NYC is running the state, and I am sick and tired of criminals having more rights than law abiding citizens. SAFE Act. Need I say more?:mad:

Sorry about the rant.

15. Axxe55

no need to apologise! move on down here to Texas! we have lots of good gun rights and we even welcome some Yankees!:D jk!!!

16. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Unless you love in a mansion, which you dont.. lol birdshot is just fine

17. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Love, live whatever its all the same

18. kfox75

Texas is on the long list for the next 5 to 10 years (after the daughter has finished college) dad and I wen't down to the Austin area a few years ago. I'm not big on cities, but i liked the area, and the folks down there were pretty decent. Dads talking about retiring down there, and the wife and I are planning a trip down next summer to check out the job and housing markets. Visit and see if it feels right to her as well, if it does, save up and plan the move.

Yankee huh. ;) I spent a goodish portion of my formative (teen and pre-teen) years on the coast of North Carolina. Learned to hunt, fish, crab, and several other things down there. I moved to NY when I was 17 because dad retired from The Corps, and I was still a minor. My last 2 years of high school were up here, and I still feel out of place. i live in NY, but my heart is still in Dixie. Wasn't born there (Southern Cali), but that is still where I feel I belong.

19. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

My 870 sleeps with the slug barrel on, and that's what my inside gun shoots. If I were using shot shells, at 20' of less even some loads of #7 bird shot are going to do the job, in a very messy way.

20. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Be advised Austin is the liberal center of Texas. Rich, but very liberal. The chamber of commerce printed 'T' shirts that say "Let's keep Austin weird", and they mean it. My daughter lives there. I think Baton Rouge is the only big college city that hasn't gone totally over the edge. Louisiana's gun laws make Florida look almost tame. Your vehicle is an extension of your home, and an employer can NOT keep you from having a gun in said vehicle in the parking lot.