Buckshot for home defense

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Topshot50, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Topshot50

Topshot50 New Member

Having a hard time locating 00 buckshot in my area of Ohio. Any suggestions!

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

welcome to FTF! stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone and we will give you a proper FTF welcoming.:D

3. BVAL

BVAL New Member

Double O buckshot is pretty heavy for home use, just my view. Try to find #1 or #4 buckshot. Also the T shot size in turkey hunting loads.
    Now go buy yourself some green cabbage heads, put them on top of some fence post. Back off to 21 to 25 feet,,,,,,,,,shoot the loads that I just stated. Talk about instant coleslaw!
    Green cabbage has about the same density as the human head.
    I think you will be surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I would not use 00 buck inside.............

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Nothing wrong with 00 buck as a self defense round. You need the same things from a shotgun as a pistol. Your ammo should be able to penetrate a door. If I can see an armed intruder trying to break my door down I am not waiting until he breaks the door down to start shooting. I know this might be hard for some of you to get your head around. Your shotgun needs to be able to penetrate car windows and doors. There are idiots out there who will try to run a car through the front of your house. There are people who will try to run you down with a car in order to make a clean get away.

Not everyone lives in an apartment. People live in houses. Some people live in areas where 4 legged prowlers are a threat.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  7. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

00 Buckshot is exactly what you should use, if you decide to use buckshot as a home defense round. Limited penetration means limited penetration (of everything). You want and need penetration in order to stop whomever you had to shoot at.

If you can find 5.56MM 55 grain FMJ (assuming you have something reliable to put that round through that you have some training with), that doesn't tend to over-penetrate because it tends to fragment and stop at point blank range.

All projectiles suitable for home defense are going to go through an interior wall. Instead of worrying about what might happen, get some extra training and then practice to ensure that it doesn't happen.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

please elaborate on these car scenarios please. how many cases of intruders using a vehicle to break into a house have there been? that is clearly a new one for me, and would really like to hear more about it.

and please explain how you could get run over with a car making it's getaway, unless you were pursueing the home invader. clearly a bad choice in the worst kind of way. and if they are leaving the area and if you were attempting to pursue them, and were to shoot at them, it might very much end up bad for the person doing the shooting with the police. when a threat retreats, by law you no longer have justification to use deadly force.

9. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

GunTalk is doing a TV show on different ammo inside the house. He talked about it on the radio last weekend, and still likes birdshot.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Cabbage is not as dense as flesh.

Birdshot is not an effective or even minimally effective round.

00buck for shotguns.

11. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

If you are worried about 5.56/.223 over penetrating a FMJ bullet is the worst choice you can make. Something loaded with a bullet like a V-MAX would be a much better choice.

12. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Ford is better! No Chevy is better!

AR's are better! No, AK's are better!

Anything less than a .45 is useless!

It's all the same crap that will get argued endlessly on the internet. Use what you want and what you are comfortable with. You'll find out if it was the right choice if you ever have to use it. Let's hope it was.

Much of the above is good info. You need adequate penetration to stop the threat, which is your main goal. I know what I'm using, and I know it will offer adequate penetration.

On another note how many of you have trained with your shotgun? How many have patterned different shot at different distances? Are you able to effectively load and unload the gun? Port loading? Select and load a single slug? Are you comfortable taking a hostage shot from 20 feet with your shotgun? Have you moved with it through your house?

As with any weapon there is a requirement of time and effort to get to know the weapon, its abilities, and to become proficient with it. These skills are also highly Perishable. It is NOT okay to just go buy the gun and set it next to the bed without knowing (like actually knowing, not 'i shoot bird shot through it at the range some times') how to use it. This becomes much more important in my opinion with a long gun than a pistol because you are now utilizing something larger and harder to handle as well as easier to take away from you, with more power/penetration, and in the case of a shotgun with only a mildly predictable shot placement.

Just food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

13. DP03

DP03 New Member

I really like the Hornady TAP 00 Reduced Recoil load.

14. BVAL

BVAL New Member

What I said was, a fresh green head of cabbage has about the same density as a human head. Just try it sometime, if you can find the inner core of the cabbage head, I beat you will find some shot pellets had made it to that area.
    Why do they make a 410ga with 3/00 buckshots on top of each other,,,,,,,,,,more projectiles meaning more hydrostatic shock at the target, more so than just the 410 rifle slug.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

15. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I live in Ohio. PM me and tell me where you are around and I can tell you shops and stuff to go to that I KNOW have it in.

16. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Reduced recoil is awesome! The remington RR rounds have 8 pellets instead of 9. A lot of people are snobby about their one steel ball, but me I don;t care: I still have 8 projectiles going down range!

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Buckshot in magnum loads have a velocity of 1,325 FPS, not fast enough to create hydrostatic shock. A 12 ga slug weighs one ounce and has a velocity of 1,600 fps. The 12 ga slug has about the same energy at the muzzle as a 30/06 (over 3,000 ft lbs). A 410 slug fired from a shotgun has over 700 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. There is no way 3 pellets of buckshot can do as much damage as a 410 slug.

As to the density of a head of cabbage, no where near the human skull. Any kitchen knife in good condition will slice up a cabbage with little effort. How can a cabbage compare to bone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_shock

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  18. orangello

orangello New Member

I had a buddy who tried to drive a mid 1970's vette through a house, but he wasn't robbing, just drunk and overly optimistic about the strength of fiberglass body panels vs. brick walls.

First round in my HD shotty is birdshot; the following rounds are buck. The side saddle shell holder has a slug in case of bear attack.

19. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

You should finish every post, no matter the topic, with "in case of a bear attack." Lol. Someone asks you advice on buying a truck, tell them get a Chevy 3500 hd.....in case of bear attack. I get a good chuckle from your posts man.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

20. 25-5

25-5 New Member

My 870 and 1911 are very familiar to me.
    My Wife and Brittany are very familiar to me.
    My house is very familiar to me.
    So, 00.