Buckshot brand recommendation

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by 2ndAmendmentFreedom, Apr 18, 2012.

1. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm going to buy a Remington 870 12ga and I'd like to order some shotgun ammo at the same time. I'm looking for 00 buckshot for home defense, the shotgun I'm buying can take both 2 3/4 and 3" slugs and I'm a bit clueless when it comes to shotgun ammunition. I'd like to buy American made and since I'll be taking the shotgun to the range, I need something that's a bit cost efficient. I've been looking at Federal, Remington and Winchester and all look good on paper so I gotta ask the experts ;)

Throw me what you got!

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Stick with the 2 3/4" shells with 9 pellets. Too much recoil with the heavier loads. Some LEO's are using reduced recoil 8 pellet loads which are a lot easier to shoot. I usually just buy what is available at Wally World.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

Is buy the 2 3/4" 9 pellets...I would buy either winchester or federal I have never had any luck with remington shells

4. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Really? That's surprising to me, i've gone through quite a lot of remington 2 3/4 00 buckshot without any problems.

5. Retaks

Retaks New Member

Pick all 3 and see what your gun likes best. I have a Mossberg 835 that hates Federal buckshot but loves Federal Turkey Loads but i also have an 870 that is ok with Winchesters but great with Remington and Federal.

6. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

Thanks all, I was going to get 15 pellets buckshots so I'm glad I asked :)

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea I've tried remington buckshot slugs turkey loads and even rifle bullets and I've never had any that shot worth a crap lol Idk what it is

8. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Try out Federal, Winchester and Remington. Go with whatever patterns best.

9. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

I like my Remington Golden Sabers in my 1911 so I don't think Remington sucks for ammunition, but maybe they have bad series indeed.
    What about Nobel Sport, any good? I'm seeing good prices on their 12 pellets buckshots.

Also how many shots does it take to consider the shotgun broken in (enough)?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  10. akers06

akers06 New Member

I've never heard of noble...and there's no set number of shots to consider the gun broke in...I always like to shoot at least a box of heavy loads through my new gun gun when I get it though

11. akers06

akers06 New Member

I'm not saying remington ammo sucks I've just never had much luck with it especially the slugs

12. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

I've never tried their slugs, winchester slugs were always easier to find lol. I did used to have a 10/22 that would fire anything EXCEPT remington though lol

13. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

No I know I was just saying.

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Second Amendment,

They are telling you right! The bigger loads sound good regarding 00 Buck but the patern usually spreads significantly. My experience I could share is this. If you were to attend the NRA Shotgun Instructors Course for Certification for example you would be very hard pressed to pass their shotgun course with anything that contained over 8 pellets. From experience over the years I will assure you in this course if you go to the extreme rounds or even 12 pellet buck you will always have some flyers! Which will bomb you out in the course mentioned above. Not to mention if you have ever fired a pump shotgun for example with 3 or 3 1/2 Mag. Buck or Slugs it is not worth the punishment. I had a friend that got caught up on he had to have 3" 12 ga. Deer gun. So he got it! Then he went out and bought two scopes over the first week of attempting to sight it in. It was literaly trashing the scopes. We are talking scopes in the low to medium price range one was even a Bushnell!! So if the recoil is effecting a decent scope it just proves the shooter is taking a bit of a beating. He returned to 2 3/4 Remington or Brenneke Slugs. Now I have 2, 870 Remington Wingmasters in 3" and a Mossberg Model 930 Turkey Model it being a Semi Auto the recoil is much more tolerable. I do shoot the extreme turkey loads in it.
    Just some thoughts for you to toss around!

15. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I'm a big winchester fan. My 870 patterned well with their bird shot before I turned it into a deer/turkey gun. I used their slugs in my 20. So that was the 1st thing I bought. Although I do shoot 3 inch magnum super x slugs, the recoil is manageable. But that could be my stock too. I haven't tried to do turkey yet.

16. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

For HD I use #1 buck. In my home it will pattern a 10 ring on a B27 target perfectly at the distance of my bedroom door to the front door. 16 pellets with sufficient penetration beats 9 every time. I also stock #00, but the #1 works perfect for the maximum distance in my home. You home can and will vary.

17. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

Almost forgot the original post question.

Remington

18. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

Ok so here's my purchase:
    -2 cheap boxes of 10 NobelSport with 12 pellets (for breaking in the gun and having a reference for heavy recoil)
    The following are 9 pellets OO:
    -1 box of 25 Federal Vital Shock
    -1 box of 25 Remington Disintegrator Reduced Recoil
    -1 box of 25 Winchester Military

Thanks a lot for all the great information guys, let me know if you have other recommendations to make. I'll take some measurements of my house to determine the longest possible distance of engagement.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  19. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Nobelsport seems good for practice. Haven't heard of too many issues. It patterns OK but spreads pretty fast from what I've seen. Don't think I'd use it for hunting. Maybe HD if I had nothing else.

20. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

Good to know!