Buckmark is acting up

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Gojubrian, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I have a 95' browning buckmark camper. The other day at the range it was acting up. It would fire one round, but not the next over and over. I looked at the round it would not fire and saw that the firing pin would hit on the very edge instead of overlapping the edge like the others. CCI ammo did the same thing.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I am going to ask a gunsmith about it and see if I can get it worked on. :eek:

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

have you detailed stripped it and cleaned it really well? sometimes junk builds up in the firing pin area and causes these problems.

If rentacop was around he would tell you not to worry his buddy said it was a design flaw.

I would clean it really well and see if it still does it.

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

As Tango said, very often it's gunk build-up on the firing pin on those Brownings. Clean and lightly oil.

We have had some success using CCI Mini Mags in many rim fire guns at the range. I know Sig recommends Mini Mags for their firearms.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Check to make sure the screws holding your topstrap on are tight. Mine loosen up sometimes and the gun does exactly what you are describing.

My Buckmark is really old now, though. Soon to be 25 years that I have had it.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm pretty good about maintaining my firearms. I clean them once a month whether they need them or not. The only gunk that would be built up is from that range trip because I also clean them afterwards.

I just got to the range and it was shooting fine a few weeks ago. I tightened everything down as well because the top seems to work itself loose as well as the grips. This thing is 15yrs old with no telling how many rounds through it.

My gunsmith says he has worked on a couple before with the same issue. He believes it needs new buffer spring and firing pin. We'll see.

Thanks for the help FTF team!

6. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

It is "possible" the firing pin is worn but I doubt it... simply because it did ignite the first round. My guess is, you need to remove the firing pin & spring. Look for chaffing on the pin, check spring pressure. Clean thoroughly and re-install.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

My friend is an older gentleman and longtime gunsmith. He will look at it and give me the lowdown. I fully trust his decision to do to it what it needs. :)

8. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

That'll work...

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

A few new parts and it's good as new! I also added a red dot scope. I don't know if I'll like it or not, but it looks tacticool!! :cool: :D