BSA Sweet line of scopes

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by bessemerbob, Mar 26, 2009.

1. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

What are you hearing about the sweet line of scopes from BSA? Anybody using them yet? I am looking to put one on a 223. The idea sounds great, but ive found before that these new ideas sometimes arent all they are cracked up to be!

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

For me from my experience BSA's are no good for any kind of accuracy.

I put one on my 223 group size went from .4" to .8" it doubled the size of my groups. Then it would not POA it would jump from shot to shot. first shot would be dead on next would go off say to the left then the next might go down then right then left then right.

I would put a BSA on a rimfire and that is about it. It works good for my 22lr and hols it at .5" at 50 yards.

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I've had zero luck with BSA also. Even on my .22 Ruger Mark II.

4. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

Well is there a scope thats a 6*18*40 or higher power scope out there for less then $300. I really would like the maxpower to be 18 or higher!

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Are you wanting a 6 or 18 or 40x scope or are you wanting a 6-18x40mm scope?

Try looking at Bushnell Elite 3200, Nikon Buckmaster, Weaver V series, Mueller are some good scopes as well.

There are plenty of places to buy optics on the internet Not just SWFA. The two I would really look at are the Weaver V series and the Busnhell elite 3200 some of this line is a little over 300 but most of them are right in your price range. The Muellers are in there as well. Take a looksee and you will be suprised at the quality you can get for $300. I personally think that if you are not shooting some sort of compatition you don't need to spend more than $500 on glass. and the $250 to $500 range in scopes is where you are going to your best bang for your buck.

There are a few on here and every message board that have more money than brains and are going to sit here and tell you that you need to spend $1000 + on a scope for a 22lr.

6. infotech

infotech New Member

You can get midrange Nikons on ebay pretty cheap and they work fine. Leo's, Nights, etc are worth the money if you're a SWAT sniper or spec ops fighter.

I wish there was an affordable version of the Aimpoint T-1 - even 350 bucks is a bit much IMO but I'll end up buying one. Add a LaRue 4x magnifier and mount for Aimpoint and it gets really expensive really fast. I have some experience building telescopes and I'm very tempted to build my own version. They really are horribly overpriced for what's in them.

7. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I have a Nikon Buckmaster on my .223 4.5-14X. I'm very impressed with it. It was $300 though. I've shot a friends .223 that has a Simmons AETEC and it was also very good although it was more picky about eye placement than my Nikon.

8. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

I tell you guys this is going to be hard. Right now I have a Buckridge high power, but that is a junk scope. Im thinking I will just put that in the trash! With how much it cost to shoot its probably not worth my time to use that junk. At the same time its going to kill me to have that new Savage just sitting there not getting used as the days get longer and warmer.

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Leupold VX-III

Put a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14X40mm on that Savage and be done with it. Boone and Crockett Reticle Is part # 55256 and costs about $525.00. It uses their "Ballistic Aiming System" and has hold points for 500, 400, 300, 250, and 200 yards. Real nice. Check out thier website and watch their Ballistic Aiming System training video and you'll see what I mean. I know it's just a tad over $500.00 but the bang for your buck is worth it IMO.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  10. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

Hmmm that is tempting. I will have to wait for a month or two to spend that much, but it could be worth it!

11. aoakley1

aoakley1 New Member

Famous Maker

The scope I've been using on my Clark Custom Ruger 10/22 for the last couple of years is Famous Maker HT62444. Clark Custom Guns sells them but I found them here for considerably less.

My experience with this scope has been excellent. I swapped stocks a couple of days ago and had to re-sight in yesterday. It was hitting about 3 inches low and 3/4" to the right. Took 10 shots to get it hitting where I needed it. Target knobs, Side adjustment for focus means never having to reach out front for an AO. More scope details. from the importer.

12. deersnyper

deersnyper New Member

Riflescope

I have numerous scopes on my rifles to include Simmons, Weaver, Barska, BSA, Leupold, and Burris. I think the Burris 4-14X44mm with the tactical turrets is my favorite....crystal clear, ballistic reticle, and easy to use....Great customer service also....now that I think about it the same goes for the Leupold....I tried Millet but for some reason the scope I used didn't work with these old eyes. Find a good QUALITY scope that fits your budget and you won't be disappointed. What might work for one person might not work for another. My low end guns have the cheaper scopes but my higher end guns definitely deserve a little better.

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I have Sweet 22 scopes on two different rimfire rifles and a Sweet 223 on one of my AR 15's and they have always been good low end scopes. I just wanted to see if the Sweet 223 would last under the volume of shooting that I do with the AR,and it hasn't let me down yet.
    I have scopes in all price ranges on different guns and yes you can tell the difference between a cheap and an expensive scope just by looking through it. But then again,I also have seen some low end scopes that are right up there with the quality of much higher end scopes.

14. deersnyper

deersnyper New Member

BSA Sweet Scopes

I have a BSA Sweet .243 on my Tikka....It can hit a dime at 100 yards and the clarity is better than my friends B&L.....but Burris is still my favorite!

15. TOP PREDATOR

TOP PREDATOR New Member

my experience with bsa - had bought 3 of them, had to replace 3 of them. have one on a .22lr, had to replace it.

it appears they are really nice for the $ for 2-3 years and then crap out on you when you've finally gotten your rig tweaked out.

it's not a matter of if, but when. they replaced them no questions asked, however the amount of time screwing around, ammo, gas money to the range, shipping costs, yadda yadda, isn't worth it in my opinion. i'm a cheap bastard, but i'd pay 200.00 more for a nikon, bushnell elite, etc., to have a better piece of mind that it'll work when i need it. (i only takes me 3 times getting hit in the head before it sinks in)

if you still want a bsa, i just received back my last replacement last week. 8-32 platinum target dot, new in box, $60.00, you pay shipping.

the problem i have with these sweet scopes ( and all these holdover scopes on the market) is that if you handload, or use different factory ammo or your rifle has different barrel length than what the scope is calibrated for, the point of impact will be different than what the scope reads. may be give you center mass up to 300 yards, but certainly not precision as advertised. better off with a good data book, trigger time, and turrets.