Browning shortrac 308 hogstalker semi auto

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by boredintr, Feb 2, 2014.

1. boredintr

boredintr New Member

What kind of accuracy to expect from this gun and is it worth the money

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Accurate enough to put pork on the smoker or in the smokehouse. It is not intended to be a benchrest gun, but will shoot minute of swine.

You have to decide if you want it spend your money.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

3. boredintr

boredintr New Member

Ty would you buy one

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Would I buy one?? No.

Hasn't been out long enough. I'm not into being a paying beta tester. While the basic action has been around a bit this configuration has not.

Just my opinion.

If you get one let us know how its working for you!!

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I will probably end up being the beta tester. Brownings have long been my favorite guns. The only reason I do not own a hogstalker now is I have seen nothing but pictures of the gun. I am not going to buy any gun, even a Browning sight unseen.

I can say this much the hogstalker is built for accuracy. But there are other factors one must consider when buying a gun. One needs to know if they can buy accessories to fit the gun, that magazines are plentiful and that the gun can be serviced or customized in the USA. I have paid less for good trucks than the cost of a hog stalker. If it is not all of that a hog stalker will not be in my safe.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Is it not simply the BAR?

7. boredintr

boredintr New Member

I live in canada 5 round max in mag what scope would you put on it it has no iron sites

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I would not hesitate to buy a Browning, but I would just get a Shorttrac .308. I really do not care for pistol grips on long guns.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you only need a 5 round max I would not buy the hog stalker. This is the Browning I would buy. Graded Brownings hold their value. You can expect to sell this rifle for more than you paid for it. I have graded Brownings I bought 20 years ago. Bill Gates can not buy them today, Most people that own a good Browning feel the same way.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...1+308+Win.+w22"+BarrelOil+Finished+Grade+II+W

It could be that I do not know how to navigate the Browning site. All I could find for the product description is a left handed rifle. A right handed rifle will have the same features.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=002B&cid=031&tid=535

10. boredintr

boredintr New Member

No hog stalker owners with an opinion

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I don't know about a Hog Stalker but the "nitestalker" could take out a Hog at 600 yards. The Sharps 45-110-500 Straight can take anything on the planet. The only problem is we don't have hogs here.:(:D

Attached Files:

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

To my knowledge the Hog stalker was introduced at the shot show. That ws 2 weeks ago. Even if someone has bought a hog stalker they haven't owned it long enough to have an opinion. Another issue with Brownings is the composite stocks do not hold their value. The hog stalker might be an exception. I can go to the high dollar gun shop to buy a used black synthetic stock with a blued exterior for $600. Some of the used synthetic guns have a nice scope.

You can't find a graded Browning in the same shop.

13. DavidB

DavidB New Member

For the prices I'm seeing on gun broker, I'd buy an m1a scout or socom 16 first.

14. boredintr

boredintr New Member

Been looking at this one in Canada for a month now . Still would like to hear from some one who owns one or at-least shot one there 1200 $

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would ask the clerk in the gun shop if he has sold any. Maybe he can introduce you to someone that owns a hog stalker. I would find out if you can get a proper magazine as well. Otherwise you are going to be putting a pop rivet the magazine to be legal.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I think they are better now. The black or mossy oak polyuretanish-looking ones, they are solid and scratch resistant. "Weather something"? can't remember the name. Way better than The Remy SPS or Savage plastics.

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It's Dura Touch, after all.

18. boredintr

boredintr New Member

I think i will buy the one here at the gun store it does have a heavy barrel. And a proven action in 308 caliber i a 1 in 11barrel twist rate what is the range of bullets i can use heavy to lightest and still be accurate

Boredintr on Firearms Talk

19. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

20. boredintr

boredintr New Member

Ya but in canada a ar 10 is hard to buy as for cleaning i dont mind the extra work actually i find taking it apart and cleaning the gun and reassembling kinda fun and a good chance to go over it . Its also nice to know it has good heritage being a rebadged fnh . The gun i hate to clean the most would be my svt 40 after using corrosive amo but it to is fun to shoot.. in canada i paid 300$ for the svt 40 and 1100$ for the hog stalker as per the comment nothing special lol. Its special to me
    No mods for me and the only extras i need are a good scope and a nice sling
    Boredintr on Firearms Talk

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014