Browning problem

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by bigdaddy573, Feb 12, 2012.

1. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Hey guys I got a Browning bar a week ago and I been having problems with it every time I shoot it kicks the case out fine chambers a new round fine but when I pull the trigger to shoot the next round it sounds like the firing pin didn't reset so can someone plz tell me if they had this problem and how did you fix it?

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

A little more detail. When you pull the trigger do you hear a click? Or just nothing? Everyone will say clean it and then try it again. If you try again, after the first shot try to push the action closed more to see if it moves forward(it should not)(do this before you pull the trigger again). I would guess the action is not fulling opening to cock the gun or it is not fully closing so it will not fire. Or could be in the trigger assembly. One test would be to dry fire the gun and hold the trigger down when you fully open the action and let it close. Then release the trigger and try to dry fire again(it should fire).

3. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Yes I did clean it and it did good for one full clip then it started acting up again

And when I pull the trigger the second time it sounds like the firing pin didn't reset unless I pull the bolt back and let it slam forward?

4. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I just did that test and it did not fire so what dose that mean?

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya and i told you when i found out you were gettin her used that it might be FUBAR.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

6. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol plz tell this won't break the bank I love this gun.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Depends on whats needed to be done to it. EVERYTHING to do with Browning BAR is expensive wheN compared to say.....remington 7400

8. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Great so what could the problem be from the test I gust did with it not firing after the first dry fire

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Could be your firing pin isnt latchin on the trigger spur, trigger spur isnt lockin into place, or it could be like i said before that the bolt isnt goin back far enough to engage the pin. The test pretty much eliminates that last problem though. If its even remotely expensive from the lgs quote id tell him to trade it on the 700 and give you the difference in cash/store credit.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Does the BAR use a gas retard system?

It sounds like the the retard setup is not allowing complete movement of the bolt to the rear.

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Sounds like the problem might be in the trigger assembly. I am not clear yet on how it acts when it don't fire. Do you hear a fairly loud "click"?

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"Does the BAR use a gas retard system?"

Yes I think they are retarded. I have never liked them, though for no apparent reason. Just never liked them.

13. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

It makes a light sounding click as if I pulled the trigger and it was never cocked from shooting the first round the only way I can shoot is when I pull bolt back all the way and let it go slam forward then it shoots that round just fine

14. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"Yes I did clean it and it did good for one full clip then it started acting up again "

I reread your posts and seen the above statement. If you clean it and it worked it points to a better cleaning needed. If something was broken a cleaning would not fix it even temporarily. It could be that the hammer is following the bolt forward when you shoot. One possibility is is debris in between sear and trigger. My thought is clean,clean,clean. Then very lightly lube and test.

15. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I did the best I could do when I cleaned it but I don't have to worry about it any more cuz I just took it back and they r going to look over it

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I still say get the 270

17. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Let's see if they can get it running right first then go from there lol

18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

It is most likely something stupid. Have you taken the bolt apart? Have you tried more then 1 brand of ammo?

19. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

No haven't got the bolt out cuz I can't figure out how lol marlinman try to me to tell me how over the phone but i couldn't get it.

Ya I tried Winchester 150gr power Max and federal power shok 180 gr

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

So what did the idiots at the shop tell u man