Browning hipower

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Sicilian13, May 8, 2012.

1. Sicilian13

Sicilian13 New Member

Anyone own a browning highpower and what do you think????

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

My favorite classic arm. A graceful, reliable, potent arm. It was John Browning's improvement over the chunky, clunky, 1911.

3. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I have to disagree, as great a gun as the high power is i personally shoot better with the 1911 if its a good 1911, all 1911's and highpowers by comparison the 1911's were better guns

4. Sicilian13

Sicilian13 New Member

I saw one liked it , never shot one but the price is what caught my eye $700 sounds like a good deal

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The BHP is called "The King of the Nines" for a reason.

This is a quote from a friend and member that I had the pleasure to shoot with recently;

Here's my Browning Hi-Powers in 9mm:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Get one.........or two.

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I agree that its about what fits your hand better but ive shot colt, remington, kinber 1911's and several high powers every time the 1911's did better

7. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

they'll have to pry my Hi Power out of cold dead hands and I still don't think they'll be successful. hope they don't mind sidearms heaven.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Only change I made to mine was a set of Hogue grips. Marvelous pistol.

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

I love mine.

10. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Don't own one, never shot one, but I sure as hell want one.

11. Kalash1138

Kalash1138 New Member

Love mine, it's 2nd after the 1911. The trigger just doesn't match the 1911.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I bet it still has the mag-safety installed.

Find a BHP experienced smith, you won't believe the improvement a trigger job will provide. Worth the investment!

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I love the BHP.

It's neck and neck with the CZ 75b as my favorite 9mm. BHP has a little sleeker design and a heritage worthy of absolute respect, while the CZ has a better trigger in my expereience. Both are beautiful guns capable of heavy lifting. Asthetically, I slightly prefer the BHP. But my shooting results (and my wallet) favor the CZ.

There are 4 metal framed auto pistols that I really love. They are:

Browning Hi-Power
    CZ 75b
    Sig P22# (alloys, along with the P239)

The first three are very similar designs. Chances are good that if you like one of them, you'll like all three.

14. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

I got my first Hi-Power about 3 months ago, a consignment gun at my LGS. It is a 1984 "Vigilante" model and a gorgeous firearm. It is now my favorite gun to shoot and admire. I got it for $650.00 and I think that was a great deal. It came complete with the soft case but no magazines since the mags were 13 rounders. I bought 2 10 rounders and have had great success shooting it. When I first got it, the gun was misfeeding about 2 rounds every magazine. The gunsmith at the range looked at it, decided the hammer spring was too heavy and replaced it with a match hammer spring. It has been 100% ever since; I have over 800 trouble free rounds throught it now. IMHO, anyone that likes classic guns has to have a Browning Hi-Power.

15. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I have two, a 1972 commercial adjustable sight model and a 1988 MK111 NATO. Both were bought new and both will be here till I die. There's only one other thing I'd rather hold and she won't let me do that in public.
    To me comparing the P35 to the 1911 is apples and oranges, and yes I love 1911s and own three, they just don't serve the same purpose and even if one was a nine it still wouldn't be the same.

16. Transman

Transman New Member

One of my very favorite guns.Mines a mid 70's Belgium with adjustable sights,Pacmyer wrap arounds and the original red lined soft case.I like to shoot it so much I just bought some 20 round mags so I dont have to stop as often to reload!

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It took a lot of refining to bring the "clunky and chunky" 1911 to what it is today. Tune a BHP and it will shoot as well as or better than most 1911's. Double tapping a tuned BHP is almost automatic. As nice as it is, it is still not a 45 and it is still heavy.

18. Morgo

Morgo New Member

Nice shooters, the competition model is a dream to shoot :)

[​IMG]

19. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

Don't personally own one but have a friends at the house till he gets his court stuff setteled, another friends got one two that i cleaned and took to the range. Both nice pistols liked the newer one better. Only thing i hate bout the Hi power is having to have a magazine in to drop the hammer.

20. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I have never seen BHP used in any handgun competiton.:confused: