Browning Hi Power

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by txpossum, Jun 16, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

While I've made no secret of the fact that I'm not a fan of the 9mm, the best balanced automatic I've ever shot was the Browning Hi Power. I've owned four of them in my life: two 9mm, one Inglis (a Canadian copy of the Hi Power built during WWII), and a later model Hi Power in .40 caliber. Except for the last one, I've eventually sold or traded them away for two reasons: (1) they were 9mm; and (2) the triggers felt sloppy when compared to that of a 1911. Although a purist might object to the .40 Hi Power, I liked the caliber and the trigger was a lot better than on other models I'd owned -- I bought it used, so someone may have had a trigger job done on it, or the new guns just have lighter triggers than the old ones. I was sorry that circumstances made it necessary to sell that one.

It was one of the first, if not the first, of the high capacity 9's. It felt good enough in my hand that even though I don't care for the caliber overmuch, I kept going back to 'em.

So why do I rarely see this gun mentioned on this forum? Where are all you Browning fans? I'd pass up a table full of modern 9mm's to get to a 50 year old Browning.

2. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I have shot many a high power, I just don't have the cash for one right now. Probably one of my favorite shooting pistols ever though.

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Yep, if I ever win the lottery there's gonna be a lot of happy gun dealers.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The 9mm has it's downside but for a fun gun the 9mm is hard to beat. Last summer I was getting aguilia 9mm ammo for $8 a box. The 9mm enabled me to do a lot of shooting that I wouldn't have done with a 40 cal. I don't think we will see $8 9mm ammo again but $10 is very likely. Unless you shoot reloads with homemade cast bullets you won't find 40 cal ammo @ $10 for 50 rounds.

I don't know why we don't have more browning fans. Lots of people here like Kimbers and CZ's. Both are in the same price range as a high power. Personally I love Browning rifles and shotguns but the High Power never got on my radar. I would make a deal with the devil to buy another BAR made in Belgium. I will leave any High Powers I run across for the txpossum.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have been trying to deal with a fellow on a nice Canadian Inglis. The pistol has a properly marked legal Canadian stock with a dozen issue magazines holster and wood storage case. I like the WWII stocked handguns. :D

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

If ANY of us hits the lottery, there's going to be

a lot of happy gun dealers...:D

The GP35 has been on my short list for years. I just never

found one up to my rather persnickety standards for a

decent price.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

We do have a section in the semi-autos.

I have the Argentine clone of the Hi-Power (made under contract).

After doing some typical HP mods, I have found it to be fairly decent in range sessions.

Take another look at them.

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I am not into newer guns(certainly not plastic ones). I got an old Hi-Power many years ago(just for historical reasons). It is a nice gun that shoots very well.

9. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

The 'new' generation MUST have the 'newest stuff'! You can't tell them the old stuff is not only as good, and in some cases better, than the new 'stuff'!!! :rolleyes:

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The Hi power is very nice gun but I have the same problem with it as I do with the 1911. They are too heavy. Due to an injury, I cant carry much more than 30 oz on my belt with out additional support. A CZ75P07 weighs about the same loaded as an HP empty. For me it would be a range or night stand gun and I prefer to shoot my defense weapons to stay tuned.

11. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I've never actually owned one, but my brother used to have a new 9mm Browning. I thought it was a sweet gun and I've lusted after one a bit fore years. If I had more money to spend on guns I'd definitely have one in my safe, but I just can't justify one to myself when I have a perfectly good Glock 17 that does everything I need in a full size SD gun fore several hundred less than a new Hi Power. :(

12. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Nothing wrong with HP clones, F E G, Kareens, all make good ones, check Sarco.com for good buys.

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I keep one Belgian Hi-Power with a fitted 6" ported barrel. It is special and they feel as though they were designed for my hand with the original walnut grips. I have a Pachmayr grip on it now but am putting black plastic and a thin rubber wrap on it soon.

With 124 gr. NATO it has to be my current "there can be only one."

Attached Files:

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I've heard/read nothing but the best about the Hi-powers and am inclined to believe it all, but I'm a compact only guy. Can't stand full sized guns, they're oversized to me, but I don't see any purpose for them in my life, guns are tools to me, and thus must be concealable.

And, if I'm being honest, they're hideous. But that's just a matter of taste. I think Glocks are gorgeous and most think they look like bricks which apparently isn't good. Lol

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The Argentines made a compact high power clone. you might find it interesting. Made by FM (Yep, they even tried coming close to cloning FN in name.)

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Probably because as good a gun as the Hi Power is... It's marketing efforts are abysmal...

I've not seen a new Hi Power add in at least a decade and I personally think it's due to CZ's upswing and success in the US market.

I've shot dozens of Hi Powers and the are very comparable in every way to the CZ75b... which the Chek's seem to be able to produce and sell at a price point that I doubt Browning could compete with.

Tack

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah,but yanno, being a collector, I want one of each,,,:(

18. Morgo

Morgo New Member

Little bit of BHP love here :)

[​IMG]

One from the 70's, 80's and 90's.

The Competition model is easily my favourite though the GP Sport is easily the best looking.

[​IMG]

Would love to get a brushed chrome model soon.