Browning Hi-Power welcome here?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Transman, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Transman

Transman New Member

I'm a big fan of 1911's(own four) and this week bought my first Browning Hi- Power.It's a very clean 1978 model with adjustable sights and Pachmyer grips.It goes well with my Browning BDA 380.The two guns look very similar except for their size.It seems Brownings' last pistol has a great deal in common with his 1911,an update or modernized design of a great gun.I've not had a chance to fire this gun but would welcome others experience with the HP,and weather yall think this forum is an appropriate place to discuss it?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Of course you can discuss your Hi Power. We love Hi Powers around here. It's called "The King of the Nines" for a reason. :cool:

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

There's a bit of a Hi-Power cult around this forum. But they don't get really creepy until they haul out the altar to John Browning and red robes.

4. CA357

Yeah, so? ;)

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I keep telling you- the RED robes are for AFTER Labor Day.

Love my Hi-Power. Inherited mine from my Dad. He had good taste in guns.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I'm down to one Hi Power these days, but it's a keeper.

8. indyfan

indyfan New Member

I have yet to fire a HP, but it's gonna be my next handgun for sure. (saving up for one)

Though my grandfather has told me a horror story about one. He was as a CSI lab scientist and he knew alot of police officers. Apparently there was a shooting in front of a grocery store and one of the officers Browning HP jammed numerous times. (worst timing kind of deal)

After the ordeal, the officer carried a revolver from then on and never went to auto loaders ever again.

Is it true?...Who knows really, my Grandfather claimed to shoot marbles out of the air with a .22 as a kid :rolleyes:

Share some pics of your Hi-Power, Trans, I wanna see it

9. CA357

Nice pistola's there Cane. :cool:

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I love mine quite muchly.

[​IMG]

11. Transman

Transman New Member

I'm recovering from a 5way by-pass 9 weeks ago,and have 3 more weeks before I'm allowed to visit the range.I'm eager to shoot the HP,as well as the Remmington,RIA,and BDA I've aquired during the recovery.I can't get over how 1911ish the HP is,I've taken it apart several times just lookin.I read about the hammer wearing out the web of your hand,is this really a problem,is the spur hammer or round hammer more prone to this?I've also read that chrigger work is easier if the mag safty is removed,any thoughts on this?

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

My opinion is to shoot it first, then see what mods need to be made. Removing a safety of any kind should be well thought out first.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Thanks (to you) Don. acigar.gif

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The Magazine Disconnect is a very common, and safe, first mod that a lot of people who carry or plan to use their HP for personal defense situations do to their pistols.

Only JD's Opinion: By removing this meddlesome annoyance, the trigger on the Hi-Power does get a little better, but it still needs to be adjusted, professionally, for the pre-travel that is common on take up.

The Hi Power is King of the Nines for a reason. It is a great piece of machinery and definitely something of a classic in a lot of circles.

JD

15. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

King of the Nines, you must have never heard of the G18.:rolleyes:;):D

16. SACamp

SACamp New Member

Hello and congratulations on your '78-manufacture Hi Power.

[​IMG]
    This one was manufactured after yours but should have the same features. With adjustable sights, this version was sometimes referred to as the "Sport" model by the American importer, Browning Arms Co.

In normal trim, these forged-frame 9mm's came with the "humped" feed ramp which could be picky with blunter JHP's in some examples, the magazine disconnect, polished bright blue finish, checkered classic-style French walnut grip panels, the small single-side thumb safety and a spur hammer.

My very first Hi Power was just such a pistol but was manufactured in '71.

[​IMG]
    I had it customized to my tastes by a talented gunsmith after I'd shot it a couple of years. I have had this pistol nearly 40 years now and shot it frequently. This "encouraged" a would-be burglar to leave quickly, has taken more than a few critters and provided great enjoyment over the years. (The barrel is one of the earliest Bar-Sto match barrels and is longer than the usual 4 21/32". I am not sure why the earlier barrels were longer than standard. Later ones I bought were not.) I do not normally favor light-colored finishes but the hard chrome finish on this Hi Power has proven more durable than I ever anticipated. Though rust-resistant, it is not rust-proof. It is however tough as nails.

I favor the 9mm Hi Power pistol and the design has served me well over the long-term. If you enjoy yours even half as much as I have the ones I own (or have owned), I think you will agree that your money was well-spent.

[​IMG]
    The 9mm Mk III style of Hi Power is one that I use most often these days. This one has been lightly modified and has C&S Type I abbreviated ring hammer and the same company's sear. It is "wearing" Spegel black checkered deltrin stocks. The factory extended ambidextrous thumb safety was altered to a single-side extended safety.

Best and good shooting.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Beautiful! Did Jim Hoag do the S&W sights?

18. SACamp

SACamp New Member

Hello. No, they were installed by Lou Williamson in Ft. Worth, TX at that time. The hard chrome was done under the trade name of a company called Armalloy, also in Ft. Worth.

Best.

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Looks great. Hoag was one of the first doing S&W sight installs on 1911's and Hi Powers back when they were the only decent adjustable sights on the market. That is why I asked.

20. SACamp

SACamp New Member

Hello. Yes, I remember being really impressed with Mr. Hoag's work.

Best to you and good shooting.