Browning BLR 308

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by eugenelids, Oct 18, 2013.

1. eugenelids

eugenelids New Member

I have a 308 Browning BLR. I am trying to find the year my rifle was made. The Browning site has incorrect info regarding the serial number and finding a year of production. My serial number 08410K57 made in Japan. With the Browning site the K stands for BLR and 57 stands for the year but this is not possible bec they were not produced until 1970. Anyone have idea about how to determine the yr. I tried to contact Browning but office was closed and I will try again on Monday. Thinking they will just refer me to their "Determine your rifle year" info which is incorrect. Thanks, Eugene

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Eugenelids,

This information migh help you!
    According to Browning web site, the BLR was made in Belgium from 1969 to 1972 and in Japan from 1973 to present. K was the product code for the BLR. As yours is made in Japan, the 57 certainly means 75. For a reason I ignore, they sometime reverse the two digit representing the year of manufacture. So it would seem that yours would be manufactured in 1975 if that makes sense.
    Best regards,:)

3. eugenelids

eugenelids New Member

Thanks for your reply, you are correct. I finally got through to Browning and talked to the Historian, he informed me that in fact the numbers are in reverse and it is a 1975. Quite confusing I might add if anyone is not aware of this method when trying to determine the manufacture year of their rifle. Hope this helps others.