Browning BL 22 SN question

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by berny2435, Jul 11, 2010.

1. berny2435

berny2435 New Member

Any help on identifying the real year and make of this rifle would be much appreciated!

Browning BL 22 pictures by pwrslide2 - Photobucket
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just picked up a new gun at the recent gun show in Arizona. I guess you could call it new. It's "Supposedly" a year 1975 BL 22 Grade 2 and the guy that sold it to me said he has been collecting guns since the 70s and bought this and a few others of same time brand new. Same guy said it's never been shot and was stored away and from the looks of it, I believe it but I'm no expert. Came with the original Box and original Operation and Care Manual with the writing in it saying Date of purchase Dec 5th, 1975 and SN and $129.50!!!

This rifle was advertised as 1975 Grade II so that really got me excited. Never been shot was a bonus. From a little research that I did before I went to the show I knew that the older models were primarily made in the USA. This one has a made in Japan on the barrel but I was told some parts were made in Japan and then it was assembled in the USA.

The Serial Number is 47B46340.
    Doesn't match up with Browning's website naming convention for any year.
    Maybe the B is really an eight 8?
    BL-22 Rifle

I've googled and came up with some other info but people seem to be confused as well and no real answers out there.

My rifle has very similar number as the first quote. The reply 2nd quote contridicts my possible 1975 purchase date although the box for mine could have been switched with another rifle. I don't think 47 means the year. In japan, they tend to write things backwards but even then, a 47 could really only mean April 1970 or they typo'd and meant 74 but the gun was "supposedly" bought on Dec 5th 1975. I wouldn't think they would have made 47,340 rifles in their 2nd year of production on this rifle though.

Definitely thinking I paid too much for this rifle now.. . Kinda bummin me out about my purchase!

Any help on identifying the real year and make of this rifle would be much appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. berny2435

berny2435 New Member

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That's for the Browning semi-auto rifle; his rifle is a lever-action.

5. tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle New Member

I believe the key applies to all browning weapons, or at least that is my understanding. Buck Marks use a similar key. DF

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Probably not something one wants to leave to chance though, right?

7. tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle New Member

8. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

berny,
    You did not pay too much for that gun.
    charlie

9. tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle New Member

It definitely is one fine looking rifle. I could be enticed by one like that in a heart bear. TB :D

10. santacurtis

santacurtis New Member

Looking for information on a BLR 22 that has serial # stamped on the barrel instead of the Rec.. It was in the first lot of BLR's shipped from Japan and I was told that Browning had to recall those rifles and return them to Japan to be re stamped in the correct place on the Rec. I bought the rifle new at that time but have been unable to find any information about them since. I was told by the owner of the store that I bought it from that only 4 or 5 of the rifles were sold nationwide before the recall.

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Then if that is the Case, your rifle might be worth something as a rarity. If you can't get an answer you might try writing Mr. Scrhier or mr . Supica at the outdoor Ch.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk