Browning BL-22 FLD Grade II Octagon

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by da2357, Feb 23, 2013.

1. da2357

da2357 New Member

2. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

It's definitely a nice rifle. Browning makes superior quality products. I guess it depends on what grade you are looking to purchase though. The new grade II has an msrp of almost $1000. That's alotta loot for a 22 level action. You can buy the lower grade ones used for roughly $400. Some of the higher grade ones even come with golden triggers

3. da2357

da2357 New Member

Yes, I know the price is in the $900-1000 range and yes, it IS a lot to pay for a .22LR. I'm hoping, though, that with the combo of it being a Grade 2 and octagon barrel that it'll be more reliable and last longer. I was thinking of putting. Redfield Revenge 4-12x42mm scope on it.

Do you think it'll (a) be a rifle that I'll want to keep for a long time and (b) be the rifle I reach for when I want to go small-game hunting?

4. da2357

da2357 New Member

I've seen in a different topic that a number of people like the Marlin 795 and Ruger 10/22. So, another way to ask my question is why would I prefer a different rifle instead of the Browning BL-22 FLD Grade II Octagon?

5. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Marlin 795 = $149
    Ruger 10/22 = $229
    I think this is why most people would prefer these two models. They are good reliable rifles and a great value for the money. Have you considered one of the Henry lever actions? I have only read good things about them.

6. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Henry does make some nice stuff. Somehow I got on their mailing list and they send me all the really nice catalogs and brochures from time to time.

At the end of the day, if you want something to become family heirloom then the Browning will definitely suit that need. Of course myself, I'd have a hard time taking a $1000 heirloom out in the woods hunting. But if you can be careful enough and take superb care of it, it would make a great family piece.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Got one! Nothing else comes close. A-Bolt Gold Medalion .22WMR. Made for less then 2 years. Just an awesome rifle!

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Will you keep it a while? One never sells their Brownings! Well, my BIL did a .44 but he's a fool. You can spend less but you cannot buy a finer .22 lever. It is hard-working quality and a gentleman's gun to be sure. If the money is not a particularly critical issue I would not hesitate, however, I will point out that the price probably doesn't provide quite as much return as you might expect -- it may be twice as much as a Marlin but only 1/3rd better, nicer, or whatever...

9. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

there was a time when a quality hunting rifle was 4 figures $$. that included the rifle, the mounts, scope and fitting of the action and smithing of the internals. Nowadays the manufacturing process has improved to the point that most new rifles are near 1moa out of the box and can easily be made to 1 MOA by the owner. the 22 versions are just as precise.

IMHO, Brownings are among the top of the manufacturing process and I've seen owners of them put the rifle or shotguns through their paces and in some nasty weather. Owning a well made weapon that needs little modifications is always a treat. I

As others have stated, if $$ is not a hindrance, go for the rifle that YOU WANT and bugger all of our opinions :D as I have no knowledge of a bad browning weapon

10. da2357

da2357 New Member

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions. I'm going ahead with the Browning BL-22 FLD Grade II Octagon and I'll report back on it. I'm looking forward to getting it and getting it out in the field.

11. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Well be sure to post up some pic's of that baby when you get it. I'm probably almost as eager as you to see it.

12. huntmaster

huntmaster New Member

I've had mine for about....35 years (had to stop and add it up). Standard grade, and I couldn't be happier. It was a good rifle when I was a kid, and it still is. Be careful taking them apart to clean. Slide the action STRAGHT back and in again. The ejector and pin will suffer if you don't. Happened when I was a kid, and I just recently fixed it right where the gun shop failed.

13. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i got a old .22 browning lever action never been shot i got it out the other day fired it bad A~~ gun highly acurate with irion sites

14. da2357

da2357 New Member

Well, I got my order placed. As they didn't have it in stock, it'll probably be a few weeks before it comes in. I'll be sure to post some pics once it's in and results of my first firings.

15. da2357

da2357 New Member

Ah, am still waiting for my Browning BL-22FLD Grade II Octagon. Ordered through a local Cabela's, am thinking of seeing if the Kittery Trading Post or L.L.Bean can get it sooner. At this rate, I'll be an old man...

16. mag318

mag318 Member

Want to see a thing of beauty, check out the Grade IIs with the maple stock.