Browning BAR

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jdhagen65, Dec 27, 2010.

1. jdhagen65

jdhagen65 New Member

I'm giving serious consideration to a Browning BAR chambered in 30-06 for deer and wild hog. Anyone here own one? Any opinions?

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I have a close friend that's had 1 for years. It's his only centerfire rifle so needless to say he's deadly with it. As far as I know it's always performed flawlessly.

3. KartoffelSalat

KartoffelSalat New Member

they really need to change that designation....everytime i see browning BAR, i think the 20 pound squad automatic rifle.....

4. jdhagen65

jdhagen65 New Member

Yeah, thats what actually got me interested.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I would own one in a heartbeat. If you buy it, can I shoot it a little?

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

CA, you have to wait your turn. Clearly the trigger time is beauty before age.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

im always expecting this when BAR comes up
    [​IMG]

but its usually this
    [​IMG]

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I had a BAR in .30-06 for many years. Great gun, 100% reliable and very accurate. Only sold it when I found out I could not hunt with it in Africa.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Have you hunted in Africa?

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have an older (made in Belgium) BAR, Grade II, in .243. Most accurate semiauto I own, very reliable. Deer taken with that rifle would fill the back of a mid sized truck. A DUMP truck.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I had a Safari planned for my 40th, but it was cancelled due to sickness. I have a friend whose family owns a huge game reserve in South Africa and I have a standing invite. Gonna try to go next year with two friends.

But I sold the BAR when I found out that there is no hunting allowed with semi autos in Africa.

12. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I'm currently putting my grandmother's .308 Win chambered BAR through its paces. Its 40 years old and still getting good deer heart sized groups at 50 yards with a poor shooter with no bi-pod. I'm sure with a steady rest it would easily hit 1 MOA at 100 yards. The only thing I found negative about the BAR is that its picky about its primers, it doesnt do well with deep seated or hard primers like what comes in the surplus ammo or the Wolf ammo. Feed it typical factory stuff and it'll run all day without a sweat though.

13. jdhagen65

jdhagen65 New Member

Thanks all, decision is made. Purchase to occur in 90 days.

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

..and pics in 90.5 days...Right? RIGHT??!!??

15. powg

powg New Member

bar

hands down the best semi auto rifle made ...and beautiful to boot . the new fnar is nothing but a .308 bar with extra capacity mags and a pistol grip stock.i want a bar in 7 mag

16. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Well, in its basic form it is, it got a few changes like the trigger mechanism is now pinned into the reciever unlike a lot of earlier versions which slide in from the back on rails. The bolt is still as complex as it is in the BARs but the cocking handle is easier to remove with the FNAR. I'm looking to get one myself, trying to sell my FAL to save up some money for the FNAR Heavy barrel since I liked the original BAR so much.

17. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

Can you get a 20 round clip for it and some iron sights, and does it come in .300 win mag?

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The civilian hunting rifle under discussion has an internal magazine, not detachable. Yes, it is available in .300 Win Mag. Not available in any video games.

20. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

The FNAR comes with a 20 round magazine but is only available in 308 Win/7.62 NATO.
    Browning's Zenith comes in 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag (as well as other calibers) I believe that's about as big a cartidge as you can get in an American factory semi-auto hunting gun of course its a hinge magazine style that only holds 5 rounds at the most.