Firearms Talk banner

Browning BAR and Collecting?

13K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  kytowboater 
#1 ·
I've looked at some older Browning BAR rifles and based on the prices they don't seem to be very popular with collectors. I was wondering if anyone had idea as to why? :)

#4 ·
I'm referring to the semi auto hunting rifles.
I can never get people to realize that I am talking about the semi-auto. All they hear is BAR and are like, "OMG WWII status I love that gun in [insert video game title here]!"

#6 ·
Because Browning had a much smaller marketing department than Winchester.

I have a Grade 2 BAR in .243 that is the most accurate semi I have had. They are incredibly well designed and built- but the fan base is the people that are using them to shoot things, and not to put in a glass case.

#7 ·
Because Browning had a much smaller marketing department than Winchester.

I have a Grade 2 BAR in .243 that is the most accurate semi I have had. They are incredibly well designed and built- but the fan base is the people that are using them to shoot things, and not to put in a glass case.

That's sort of what has got me puzzled. For as long as I can remember the Browning BAR as been in a class of its own among hunters. There really wasn't any need for marketing. Every other semi auto hunting rifle was what you got if you couldn't afford a BAR (and I'm one of the ones that couldn't afford a BAR). I'm fortunate enough to be able to add one to the gun cabinet now and I started looking at older Belgium BAR's. I was surprised at how little they were bringing considering how popular they are among hunters? I know what they say about assumptions, but I just assumed early BAR's would have been very collectible considering how popular they are, or were?

Oh well, that just means I can get a really nice early Belgium BAR for a great price. :)

#10 ·
As said, BAR is the gun of a hunter or shooter, not gun of a collector. Why in the name of the Wide World of Sports would a Winchester 37 in .410 be worth $600? IT IS A FREAKIN' SINGLE SHOT 410 !!!!!

Answer- some collector will pay that.

#11 ·
It really has not been the cost of the BAR that kept me from buying one. It is the cost of the bearers you have to hire to tote it for you compared to a bolt action. :p

I have Remington 740 that still shoots MOV. :)

#12 ·
It really has not been the cost of the BAR that kept me from buying one. It is the cost of the bearers you have to hire to tote it for you compared to a bolt action. :p

I have Remington 740 that still shoots MOV. :)
If you can carry an animal out of the woods, you can surely carry a BAR into the woods!:p

#13 · (Edited)
Someone hit it right on the head. People have bought the BAR as a user not a collection piece (With a few exceptions). I was a BrowninG smith for 38 years and worked on the BAR since they first came out. I've worked and shot thousands of them and as far as I'm concerned it's the best comerical made semi-auto that ever hit the market. I've been retired now for 13 years now but can tell you from personal experience I seariously doubt that you can buy a better semi-auto rifle. That plus the fact that BrowninG will go WAY OUT to back it up if ever you should have problems with it. The biggest problem I saw with the rifle was the people that owned them.

#14 ·
I understand that most people buy BAR's to use rather than to collect, and I intend to get one and use it. I don't own a gun that hasn't been hunting. Again, I just thought that BAR's being such high quality rifles would make them popular for collecting? I guess I just have a hard differentiating between a great gun and a gun that is or should be collectible. For me they are one in the same. I guess that's what I get for thinking.

I buy guns to use, but I'm also starting to collect a couple. I have a few particular rifles that I want to add to the cabinet to both use and to collect. Obviously a BAR is one of those guns. I don't know if BAR's will ever be very collectible, but I'll have one in my collection. :)

#16 ·
The higher grade Browning BAR rifles are very collectable. One thing you have to watch for very carefully when purchasing or collecting some of the older Browning models is to make sure it doesn't contain what is known as "salt wood". Some time ago, (back in the late 70's and early 80's I believe), Browning briefly experimented with a process known as salt curing the Walnut for their gun stocks, in an attempt to speed up the drying process of the high grade Walnut they used. What happened is when the stock was mounted on the gun, the salt used in the curing process severely rusted and corroded the metal underneath it, rendering the gun all but ruined from a collector standpoint. Astute Browning collectors know the serial number range each of the models effected by this process, fall into. If you purchase one by mistake, then find out, you'll find the gun all but impossible to unload for anywhere near what you pay for it.

#17 ·
Salt Wood & BAR'S

Salt wood showed up in the fall of 1968 (I was there). The first "guns" to show up with it was the " T-Bolt" rifle. I worked on BAR's since they came out "1967" up till the time that I retired 1999 and to find a BAR with salt wood was EXTREAMLY RARE. It was on everything else ( I even saw it on 9mm Hi-Powers) but only rarely on a BAR. Salt can be checked for with a 1% solution of " SILVER NITRATE " (nothing stronger). If you put the solution on a stock or FA that has salt the clear solution will turn white.
From the standpoint of collectable BAR'S " I wouldn't worry about it !! :):)

#18 ·
Salt wood showed up in the fall of 1968 (I was there). The first "guns" to show up with it was the " T-Bolt" rifle. I worked on BAR's since they came out "1967" up till the time that I retired 1999 and to find a BAR with salt wood was EXTREAMLY RARE. It was on everything else ( I even saw it on 9mm Hi-Powers) but only rarely on a BAR. Salt can be checked for with a 1% solution of " SILVER NITRATE " (nothing stronger). If you put the solution on a stock or FA that has salt the clear solution will turn white.
From the standpoint of collectable BAR'S " I wouldn't worry about it !! :):)
Thanks for that. I actually passed on a couple of BAR's last weekend because I wasn't sure if they were made during that period.

Vearl, you've obviously seen a few Brownings and I was wondering what you thought the best years were for quality? I'm interested in the BAR in particular but also the bolt action rifles.

I know that the BAR's are pretty well known for quality period, but all companies end up taking a short cut at some point to make a gun easier and/or cheaper to manufacture. The salt wood is a good example. I was just wondering if any years standout to you as better than any others for quality?

I'm also curios about the bolt action rifles and quality. I'm particularly interested in the early FN Brownings and BBR's. I've never heard much about any of the early bolt actions other than they were great rifles.

#19 ·
All of the BAR'S are good rifles. Personal preference go's to the type 1. Mostly because that's the one I'm most acquainted with. I've worked on and shot thousands over a 35 year period at BrowninG and though it's my personal opinion I still think it's the best semi auto out there. I got to know them VERY well inside and out. Quality has ALWAYS been 1st rate and the company will go WAY out of it's way to make the customer happy (at least while I was there). If your considering a semi auto and casnt afford one right it's worth putting it off and saving a little more to get a BAR. Ther really are " GREAT GUN'S ". I started there in March of 1961 (about a year after they came out with the Mauser) and have a lot of experience with them also. THEY TOO---Great Guns !!!!

#20 ·
I'm referring to the semi auto hunting rifles.
Semi auto? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO SUCH AN EPIC GUN!?
'Sides, semi auto BAR is no longer a BAR.
BAR: Browning AUTOMATIC Rifle

#21 ·
Evil_Angel said:
Semi auto? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO SUCH AN EPIC GUN!?
'Sides, semi auto BAR is no longer a BAR.
BAR: Browning AUTOMATIC Rifle
Browning makes a SEMI AUTOMATIC RIFLE FOR HUNTING. CALLED THE BROWNING AUTOMATIC RIFLE.

Not talking about the WW2 fully automotive 30-06 rifle that has a detachable mag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.