Browning a5 barrel id

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by catman76, Sep 27, 2012.

1. catman76

catman76 New Member

My 20 ga a5 that my grandfather gave my has 2 barrels. One says astrick astrick. 20 ga. Special steel. The other says astrick astrick. 12 ga. Special steel. Both are chambered in 20 ga!? What's the difference? Is the second a slug barrel?

Thank

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Is there any difference in the length of the barrels? Prior to the invention of screw in chokes,the most common method of changing chokes was to change barrels.

30 inch barrels were commonly full choke
    28 inch barrels were commonly modified choke
    26 inch barrels were commonly improved cylinder choke

Most serious shotgunners had at least two barrels for their shotgun.

Or they had a gun for each barrel. :D

The choke should be stamped on the barrel near the receiver, Full, Mod or Imp Cyl, unless this has worn off. Some stampings were more defined than others.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Special Steel

Borrowed this off the interwebz:

This goes back to the beginning of the auto 5 production in 1903. John Cockerill was a British Industrialist whose company supplied high quality steel to Fabrique Nationale (FN) which was the maker of the A-5.

The Cockerill name was first used on Browning barrels stamped "cockerill steel". The steel was a very strong quality that met the proofing requirements of guns that were shooting smokeless powder. Eventually the Cockerill name was dropped from the barrels and "special steel" was used instead.

The FN guns that were not sold to Browning in the US, uses the barrel stamp of "acier special" which means special steel in the French language.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_Browning_special_steel_shotgun#ixzz27isUrS3o

4. catman76

catman76 New Member

The astricks determine the choke. two of them means improved I think. I can't find anyone to tell my why I have I 20 ga barrel stamped 12 ga though.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Could just be a factory error.

6. catman76

catman76 New Member

A factory error on a old a5 might be a good thing.