browning a5 annoyance

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by kiabe1, Aug 23, 2013.

1. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Am i the only one who wishes they made a good 18.5 in barrel for the browning a5. I dont know about you but i think it would be pretty good to turn one of these old bird killers into a super effective defense gun

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I had an A-5 for many years. It was my favorite Ruff Grouse Gun. But yes it had too much barrel. I bought an extra barrel and had it cut to a safe 19". It was the best all around shotgun I ever owned.:)

3. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Yeah ive thought of goin that route but unless you expand the gas ports it beats up the action which is y i didnt do it

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Gas ports on an Auto 5? Perish the thought.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Old A5 is 100% recoil operated.

The new A5 is inertia driven, like Benellis.

6. 10Ringer

10Ringer New Member

Given there isn't any gas ports (it's inertia driven) that would be a good option.

7. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

I dont know wat i was thinking saying there were gas ports srry for the dumb comment

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

You're not the first, nor will you be the last. Most all of us have stepped in it a few times, I know I have. :eek:

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The A-5 was around before the gas pistons. Browning's first successful gas operated firearm was a 30-30 94 Lever Action rifle. He harnessed the gas from the muzzle to operate the lever in full auto.;)

10. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I have an older A5, according to the serial # its a 59'.. Belonged to my grandfather and I wouldn't change a thing, perfect like it is.
    With the abundance of tactical and SD weapons out there now driven by the idea of a zombie outbreak, IMO it would be blasphemy to modify a clean A5.. Just my opinion.. Mine has the poly choke and several have tried to sell me on a new barrel.. They're selling, I'm not buying.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It is a fact that anyone who placed a "Poly Choke" on an A-5 shotgun has defaced a classic firearm. :(

12. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Everyone tells me it came that way..
    What it comes down to in the end is, that's the way my grandfather wanted it, so that's the way ill own it as well.. I know for fact it's killed several ducks and won turkey shots since his passing.

13. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I have a newer a5 buck special slug gun with the 24" barrel, but I'm attempting to sell it