Browning A-5 Gunsmith Visit

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by sheriffjohn, Jan 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

After falling and knocking a chip off the toe of my Model 42 Winchester, I drove to Hillsboro Missouri to Art Isaacson's Gunsmithing. He modified my grandfather's 16-gauge Auto-5 many years ago to use the longer modern ammo, so I figured he was the one I wanted to work on my little .410. Not cheap but I trust them.

Here's what I learned - Browning no longer services A-5's. Parts are to the point Art is stripping out some to fix others. Repair/restoration orders at his shop are backed up to about 300 jobs with three men working when I was there. Several hundred A-5 barreled actions were neatly hanging on hooks, re-blued, awaiting assembly and stock work. What I saw was very well done with attention to detail . 2-3 month wait due to the volume.

The shop is located behind the house, about 45 minutes outside St. Louis. Nice fellows to talk with and he does reply to emails.

SRK97 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  2. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

A5s are one of my favorites, I almost made the mistake of buying a sweet 16 with a 2 9/16 inch chamber. I didnt know they could make them shoot 2 3/4

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup. Don't know what the job costs today. There was more to it than just lengthening the chamber. Still have a half-case of the shorter shells Pop bought in the 40's.

boatme98 and SRK97 like this.