Brown Recluse: quick info.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Shihan, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I thought I would give a little write up on Brown Recluse Spiders, due to the "I hate Spiders" thread.

I hear all the time how someone knows someone that was bit by a Brown Recluse Spider.

If you live outside the Shaded area of the map, you have no Brown Recluse Spiders. Many cases of Recluse bites come from areas that the Spider does not inhabit.
    [​IMG]

Many times necrotizing wounds are attributed to spider bites, especially the Brown Recluse.

So if you live outside the range of the Brown Recluse and someone tells you how so and so was bit by a Recluse. It wasn't a Brown Recluse.

I also hear how the spider they caught is a Brown Recluse because of the fiddle shape on it's back. They don't pay attention that it is right behind the eyes. Not just any where on the back of the Spider.

Many spiders, including the real Brown Recluse, have a fiddle shaped spot behind the eyes. The number of species with that spot, limits it's usefulness in proper identification.

Then there is always, the Doctor said it was a Brown Recluse. That's wonderful, is his Doctorate in Arachnology. If the Spider is not captured at the time the "alleged" bite occurs and properly identified by a trained Arachnologist, then there is no way to properly diagnose it as a Brown Recluse bite.

There are many other skin irritations that cause similar type wounds.

Just remember if you are not in the shaded area, you don't need to worry about Brown recluses.

2. freefall

freefall New Member

I know a guy, swears he was bit by a brown recluse. Still has necrotic episodes 5 years later. 5 miles outside of Wasilla. Have heard other reports of them up here. I'd be tickled spitless if I could be certain you were right and they were just bit by a sasquatch or something.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I know Shihan knows his bugs. I don't worry about spiders but I don't live in the shaded area.

4. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Thanks for the info. Brown recluse's are popular in my area and i can't stand them.

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Unless they hitch a ride in lumber or packages shipped from those areas.:eek:

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

my grandmother was 71 when she was bit by one. took a year of treatment for the wond to heal. the doctor sent the squishie to ut in austin for a positive ID to help treatment. it was a recluse. at her age and bad health she was lucky to live.

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Your shaded area needs to be expanded a bit to the northeast. I hope someone told the spiders about the shaded area because they aren't listening intently.

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Years ago when I was a teen a cousin of ours slept out on our enclosed deck. When she woke up in the morning the right side of her face was swollen, real bad. Her eye was shut, her mouth looked like she took a left hook from Mike Tyson and her looked like some sort of throbbing cabbage patch. She had been bitten by what we assumed to be a spider right behind the ear lobe. I couldn't for the life of me stop laughing at her ... even now as I type this it brings me a chuckle :D

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

OK, so what is the difference between a Brown Recluse and a Violin Spider?

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Funny thing is they have been found in wood sheds up here.

11. SK2344

SK2344 New Member

I think you need to re-think this shaded area and include the State of Florida, where I have lived for the past 14 years. :eek:

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Print up a picture of the shaded area and show it to the spiders. If they have any kind of decorum, they will book a flight or bus ride to the shaded area. If they just sneer at you, squish them to teach their friends a lesson.

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

The Brown Recluse is more wide spread than you might think. A friend of mine was bitten by one about three years ago right here in the high desert. He did retain the spider when he was bitten and it was positivly identified as a Brown Recluse. He also had subsequent surgery to remove massive dead tissue on his arm.

Jim.............

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Nope, not in the shaded area. See above suggestion to Doc. While you are at it, print up a "shaded area" of the habitat of the Burmese python and travel around the Everglades showing it to the snakes. They will leave sumarily.

15. freefall

freefall New Member

I wish the rest of uninvited aliens would leave as promptly.

16. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Nevermind then. You are all correct, they are all over the United States. From Alaska all the way down to the tip of California. Maine to Key West.

Tell me what kind of Spider is this?
    [​IMG]

What kind of Spider is this?
    [​IMG]

17. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I don't know what kind they are in your neck of the woods but in my neighborhood they would be dead ones :p

18. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

First of all, I think we are just having fun. Fact is that the BR has been documented to inhabit areas farther up the Ohio River Valley than the shaded area shows. Just like the Copperhead snake is not supposed to be in my area, but I took a picture of a snake sunning itself on a road by me and sent it into the DNR. The response was that it was a Copperhead. Apparently, the snake did not look at the "shaded area". I have not seen one since, and doubt I will. I don't concern myself with the BR because I know that the chance of getting bit by one even though I am an hour or two up river of the "shaded area" is extremely minimal. Again, just having fun. Your knowledge of the creepy crawlies is priceless as you are willing to give it for free here and I value that, personally.

As far as the BR being as wide spread as people say is quite possibly like you said, not so much. The occasional "hitch-a-ride" will happen no matter the species.

ID of your spiders:

1. I can't see the eye configuration, so not sure. Ugly enough with apparently long fangs, so it would die a squishy death.

2. We call those "Daddy Long Legs" here. Probably not the true species and they are not aggresive. I have heard for a long time that "Daddy Long Legs" are deadly, but I have also heard for a long time that their fangs aren't long enough to pierce human skin. We don't harm #2 here.

I will also add that I have heard that most BR bites do not result in necrotising tissue damage.

You are Mr. Creepy Crawly here. I apologize if I offended you with the "shaded area" stuff. I would hate it if you decided to stop educating us. I mean that with no sarcasm or ill intent. :)

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Even by Shi's map, I'm in the brown recluse area (about 10 yards in).

20. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I would go with a Wolf spider for the first pic and Daddy Long Legs for the second one.

Did I win? :D