Brought home savage 110

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 95sniper, Oct 13, 2013.

1. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I picked up my first bolt action rifle today. It's a savage 110 in 7mm Remington magnum. I'm so excited to shoot it and can't wait for my scope to get in. I already feel the need to upgrade the scope that I was going to put on it. A Redfield 4-12. I'll try to upload pics but the app keeps crashing on my phone...

2. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

First few minutes at its new home...

ForumRunner_20131013_232613.jpg

3. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Is she settling in nicely? I hope she doesn't go on the floor because she's scared :p

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  4. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Congrats on the new rifle, it looks good. Be sure to give us a range report in the future.

5. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I'm hoping to take it out this week but I'm not sure when my scope will come in.

6. wechols

wechols Member Lifetime Supporter

She needs a nutmeg laminate stock from boyds. Right around $100.

7. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I'll check those out, I like the stock on it for hunting right now.

8. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I have the same rifle and love it. I agree with changing the stock. The Savage stocks on the 110's are too light and the recoil can be quite stiff. I have not changed mine but plan to in the near future.

9. Salvo

Salvo New Member

A note about the 7mm mag. - Be sure to let several minutes go by in-between shots at the range, so the inside of the barrel can cool down.

The barrel will always be a lot hotter inside than it feels like on the outside.

A lot of guys get excited and shoot several rounds, one after another. This will cause the area where the rifling starts to literally crystallize, like this:

( Click image to see it larger )

[​IMG]

That bore-scope photo was taken from a 7mm Rem mag that looked like new on the outside. Inside though, it was evident that somebody had fired a bunch of shots in rapid order. Note how sharp the edge of the rifling is. - This gun didn't have many rounds through it - but it sure is fried!

You might hear stories about 7mm Mags that the barrel burns out, on. These stories tend to come from shooters that do not let the gun cool, between shots.

Sometimes I bring a second gun with me, to shoot while the other one cools down. - Or I'll linger over the spotting scope, looking at the group that I'm getting. The important thing is to let it cool with the action open for a while, between shots.

I bought a bore-snake for my Savage. I run it through with a little Hoppes #9 every few rounds, and this goes far in cooling down the barrel and keeping carbon and copper from building up in there. Especially with a new gun, it's important to clean it often, every two or three rounds or so. This breaks in the barrel so that it will shoot well.

When you are hunting, a quick second shot might be necessary - but you should never get in a hurry at the range.

Savages have a great reputation as accurate guns. The most accurate gun I own is a Savage. If you take good care of that 7mm Mag, it'll take care of you too and last a long time. Congratulations on a fine choice, that's a nice gun you have there.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  10. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Thanks, I'll keep all of that in mind when I'm at the range

11. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I'm taking it shooting Monday, I can't wait! Wish I could have this week but I have nowhere to go and my scope came today. I had to find a one piece mount to get the scope to fit. Redfield 4-12x40 and savage 110 7mm rem mag with accutrigger.

12. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

13. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I had to move the scope forward, tomorrow I'm going to do some more adjustments and bore sight it.

14. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I put a Choate ultimate varmint on my 7 mag, It's bulky but it tames the kick a whole lot better than the cheap plastic sporter.

15. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I thought about it, but I needed to save up for that.

16. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I always put my scopes however far forward that I can, as I am bad about being a stock-crawler.

My standard set-up is to leave 1/8th to 1/16th inch between the rear ring and the magnification zoom ring on the scope.

The setup on this 17HMR is typical.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  17. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

It's best to have the scope as far forward as you can. I'm going to play with sight picture and mess with the way it's mounted tomorrow when I can go outside.

18. Salvo

Salvo New Member

It is trendy to diss the plastic stocks, but in truth there are plenty of Savage gun owners who are happy with them, particularly the accu-stocks.

Savage makes a laminated thumbhole stock for the 111 BTH that you can order from them that your action will drop right into, if you want something racy-looking that is also very comfortable to shoot.

Here's my model 16 .243 with one of those for the short action, the 11 BTH model:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  19. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

That's one nice looking gun...

20. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I have a Win 70 in 7 mag with the Choate Varmint and a bull barrel Savage Tactical with a Duramaxx, both had plastic from the factory. The Savage was bad you could twist the forearm easily and make contact with the barrel, the fix at the time was cut a channel and bed something like a pushrod in it. The 70 stock was actually pretty good, just lighter than I wanted for the 7 mag. Sounds like the new ones are much better, maybe finding some place for weight would help if recoil is an issue. If my stuff didn't get drug around so much a nice stock like yours would be great.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013