Brother Can You Spare a Magazine

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Threetango, May 15, 2013.

1. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

2. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I don't care how may rounds are in your magazine, you only have one magazine in the gun. If it fails, you're screwed. Carry at least one spare, and don't forget about your BUG. If it's magazine fed carry a spare for it, too.

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I don't care what you carry, you should clean it regularly. (Once a week for me).
    If you think your CLEAN gun might jam...get a different gun. YMMV

The gun I carry is 10+1, if I need more than that ill probably die anyway. An extra mag is wasted space for me.

Just my OPINION, I.E. it ain't worth much...

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Interesting points but I just can't see a use for civilians carrying multiple 15+ mags. The logic can be taken all the way to why not carry a BUG and ammo for that too. I guess I've been out of the big cities too long. Personally I don't put myself in situations where I need 30 rounds of ammo. And I am someone that has been in SD situations in he past. I can't remember a time when I thought I didn't have enough ammo.

I really can't see using competition as a guide for SD. I guess if I had to use my weapon (almost) every day to get into my car I might see it as more important. Competition mags get a LOT more use. The more you use it the more likely it will fail. I guess the logic that mags will fail is the best reason to only carry a revolver. Those mags don't fail.

Premise beach is a great place to feed ideas. But what if can get you to the realms of paranoia if you're not careful. I honestly don't care what people carry with them. In the end you are the only one that has to deal with the safety or lack of at the end of the day.

5. tCan

tCan Active Member

+1 revolvers. If your "magazine" fails, you've got bigger issues than a jam.

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

As others have stated, YMMV, but most

modern mags are far in excess of the six-

shooters of old. 17 +1 is three times the loads

of a revolver. If things turn to $#!+ that quick,

spare mags be damned. I'm using my pistol to get

to my rifle.

7. tCan

tCan Active Member

Amen. Praise be to Allah. :p

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

No Mec Gar or USA Magazines (if the latter is even in business anymore) -- factory (and I refuse to "guess" about Mec Gar but I've seen so much of their crap over many years)!
    6+1
    5-shot revolver
    enough

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I carry 2 extra mags.

I've said it before, the magazine is the Achilles heel of the semi-auto firearm.

I would rather have 8 shots in an extra magazine than one shot of throwing a jammed gun at a BG.
    (But the thrown firearm was enough for Superman to duck.)

10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You guys touting the uselessness of extra magazines because of large capacity must not have read the article. The whole point was if the magazine fails, you have a spare.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

No, I read it. I just don't agree that using the fails of competition mags makes a valid arguement for civilian carry. Nor does it replace the need to properly maintain mags used in defense weapons. In other words I make sure the mag in my weapon works properly to begin with.

People can carry what they want. I just don't see enough of a tactical advantage vs the added space and weight I will be carrying with a couple extra mags. In my personal experience I've not had a reason to even carry more than the five rounds my little 38 holds...Let alone the 8+1 of my 1911. But I don't live in a heavily populated area as I stated in my other post. Though when I did was when I did have to defend myself.Since I moved to the woods a couple decades ago I have not needed to fire a weapon in defense period, and I'm very happy to be able to say that.

By all means, carry a hi-cap 9mm with two extra mags and a BUG on your ankle if you feel the need. But in my experience most will not even fire a presented weapon in a SD situation and if they do it will be three or less shots. But that's just ones mans opinion based on personal experience.

12. MisterMcCool

I don't carry a spare magazine either. Never really considered needing it until I read the article. And I'm pretty sure I won't start carrying one because of this thread. I just thought the article wasn't being addressed in a lot of the posts. No offense and none taken.

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I love the Peter-Pan attitude which floods these forums.

Folks will go on and on about a topic, while the simple basics like

maintenance, lubrication, and practice are largely ignored.

I've NEVER had a mag fail me yet.

Of course, much like the gun itself,

they need to be cleaned and

lubricated regularly.

You only get one chance, when the chips are down.

and you really don't want to be scrambling for a bug or mag

during those precious 1/10- seconds which will scribe your

fate.

Practice, practice, practice slap and rack. Familiarity in

relationships may breed contempt, but with your CC,

it breeds survival.

Different mags work better, for different people,

in the same gun. Find your best combo.

Case in point: Wilson Combat mags jam regularly in my

Springfield 1911. I'm sure, that for others, even with the same

type of weapon, Wilsons work flawlessly. I tailor my mag selections

accordingly, for CC.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

If you feel you need to carry a spare mag for your CCW then you shouldn't have it.

What's next? A spare BCG to the range!?

I've had two bad magazines in my life that I can recall. One was an M-1 Carbine mag that came with a Blue Sky import and the other was June 2012's Biker Babes Without Bras.

15. MisterMcCool

I thought you had an AR-7. Those things had awful magazine issues when I had them.

16. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Damm, I would have liked to have been there, and yes I am a male chauvinist pig (LOL), but at 70 years old, I am allowed to be. (LOL)

And yes I carry a spare mag with me all the time and have never had to use it.

Jim

17. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I try to look at the probabilities and possibilities when trying to determine need.

Home Invasion Robberies ramped up significantly in 1995 because criminals saw them as an alternative to bank and convenience store robberies, which had become more difficult due to cameras and technology.

Flash Mobs, the innocent type, started in 2003, closely followed by Flash Mob Robberies. This is an event where large groups of people rob a store en masse, overwhelming any staff and bystanders.

Street gangs have typically moved in smaller numbers, but in recent years tend to move and attack in larger and larger groups for their own protection and to guarantee success.

It doesn't seem too big of a stretch to a believable scenario where a flash mob may eventually go armed. Even if it were only a quarter of the mob that was armed, that could number 6-10 people. If you assume half will run when gunfire breaks out, and you hit 50% of the time (as good as the best LEOs), then you need 20 rounds to double-tap each armed attacker confronting you.

There are millions of ways to run any theoretical scenario, but the numbers say that one extra magazine gives you enough rounds to handle this plausible nightmare, and gives you a "repair" magazine if your original falls out or fails. It doesn't seem unreasonable to carry one extra, especially considering it doesn't has to be attached to you, only covered by something akin to a sticky holster and carried in any spare pocket. It hardly seems paranoid, but rather prepared, to assume that a mechanical device you carry every day may break and fail when you need it most. That's why most of us have a jack, spare tire, extra fuses, and maybe a quart of oil in our vehicle - prepping for reality.

18. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

i think that

Threetango must be a fellow Nightstalker....hopefully he didn't loose as much in poker as i did...;-)

19. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

NSDQ, in poker or otherwise. [​IMG] and I always carry an extra mag believing it's better to have it and not need it, so on and so on !

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  20. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

So, no one has had a double feedway jam here?

I've only had it happen once. Don't know how it was induced, but it was during a IDPA match. Might have been slide drag on cover, or a jacket sleeve, orsome othe rissue. But the way to clear it was drop the mag, rack the slide, insert a mag and re-rack. Having a spare mag is the fastest way to get it back in action quickly.

I have see a revolver lock-up as well, so stuff does happen.

I can see the use for an extra mag.

I have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen too.

If everything goes right I won't need either one.