Broken trigger guard tab

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Huntkrazed, Jun 26, 2010.

  1. Huntkrazed

    Huntkrazed New Member

    I was trying to take out the roll pin on the trigger guard to upgrade to the enhanced guard when the thin aluminum tab broke off in spite of me having a block under it. Can anyone recomend a "expert" I can send it to. Should it be a smith or a welder that does TIG. Before I get razzed for not being more carefull, I have built more than 6 ARs without a hitch. I appreciate any and all advice.
  2. Glasshartt

    Glasshartt New Member

    Crap happens to everyone. How about stopping by the introductions thread and telling us a little about yourself. Your question is above my pay grade, but I am sure that someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly.


    IGETEVEN New Member

    Well, you could JB weld it and redrill the hole, touch it up and it will still look like chit...or you could get it TIG welded, a little smith work and some refinishing, cost you a little less or the same as what a new stripped lower would go for....or get one of these SE AR-15 grips and salvage the lower, as long as the front pin is still there and there are no other hairline cracks.

    Stark Equipment SE-1 AR-15 Grip

    Personally, I would opt for new stripped lower, and start over, YMMV.

    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  4. Highpower

    Highpower New Member

    Both actually. An experienced TIG/TGAW welder will be light years ahead of the typical gunsmith when it comes to properly welding your 7075-T6 aluminum alloy receiver. He/she will also have the best equipment (Advanced Square Wave / Inverter) for doing the job. Afterward, send it to a good AR smith for proper fitting and refinishing.

    My 2¢, and worth what you paid for it....