Broken right hand ,,, suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Bagger, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Bagger

Bagger New Member

Hey, folks ... crashed my mountain bike last week an broke my right hand (among other more serious injuries) and wonder what to do about my "gun hand"?

With the cast on my hand with my ring and pinky finger pulled forward, I can't grip a gun in my right hand.

I'm learning to type fairly quickly, tho.

Any suggestions about "off hand" learning? Or, orther ideas? Maybe just heal up .. but, that doesn't bode well for protection, eh.

Thanx for the ideas.

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Well other than its a great time to work on your weak hand draw and fire drills. No idea's other than just get started.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Get a shotgun in case the Zombies show up before your HEALED :rolleyes:

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Now seems like a good time to practice on ur offhand shooting. This is a real world situation, something may happen in a SHTF situation where ur forced to use ur offhand. U may break ur gun hand fighting off a BG or BG may shoot u in ur arm.. Watever the reason its always good to know tht if u have to use ur offhand,tht u can still use ur firearm and stop a threat

5. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I would take this time to practice with your other hand. It never hurts to be able to a pistol well with either hand.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

One post since Dec 2009?

Stop riding your mountain bike if you want to shoot.

Stop shooting if you want to ride your mountain bike.

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I wonder if he'll come back to read the thoughtful replies to his 2 year old post? I wonder if his hand has healed or if the zombies got him? :rolleyes:

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I've found that I shoot as accurately with my off hand...just slower. I'm sure the "slow" factor has a lot to do with it, as I tend to take my time and get it right the first time.

If you actively carry or even lean on a handgun for home defense, you really should be competent with both hands. These current circumstances will force your hand a bit (the left, that is), which you have the opportunity to turn into a silver lining.

Best wishes on healing up quickly. I do a bit of single-track riding myself, and I'm an expert crash-artist.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

LMAO, thts how he wrecked the bike, running from the zombies

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I figure he'll read it some time in July..........2013. :rolleyes:

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I do both. And I often carry when I'm riding alone, miles from anything or anyone. You never know when you might cross paths with an angry sasquatch, cougar, poacher, or an armed weed farmer here in the Pac-NW.

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Uhhh....maybe I'm wrong, but I'm showing that the OP was made all of 5hrs ago.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ur right, cane was just mentioning tht he has only had 1 prior post in 2009 before this one

14. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

You're right, it was his first post since joining 2 years ago though.

15. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Use your cast as a picattiny rail and accessorize it.

16. Pengie

Pengie Yep, it was as good as you could imagine Supporter

You think you have problems! Try shooting with a flipper.

Practice with your off hand. ;)

I hope you heal up quickly.

17. Bagger

Bagger New Member

Thanx for the replies, guys. Appreciate it.

I do have a shotgun, but it's a pump loader ... tried to rack it and could, but can only fire it left handed. And, all my HGs are semi-autos ... I do have a Ruger SP100 .357, tho. To BIG to CC IMO ...plus my cast right paw is worthless.

Had a rabid coon on the deck this AM ... had to just herd him off into the woods ... no way to dispatch the poor bastard.

Don't dis my lack of posting. Moderator emailed me and asked me to post about "what's going on". So, I did. Sorry I don't have 16,000 posts.