Broken mainspring housing

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by JoeM, Dec 14, 2011.

1. JoeM

JoeM New Member

During re-assembly of my Kimber Eclipse Pro II I managed to crack the mainspring housing. A couple questions...

- Am I better off replacing it with a custom piece (Ed Brown, Wilson, etc) or with the original?

- Will a custom piece improve percieved performance?

- Will a custom piece affect resale value?

Spent 15 min on hold with Kimber and had to hang up so not sure if this is covered under their warranty...

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I don't own a Kimber, but my guess is that your MSH is plastic/nylon. Either way, just replace it with a higher quality MSH like an Ed Brown or Wilson. Neither would be considered a "custom" MSH. Doubt you will see any improvement in performance. And doubt it will affect resale value. For the most part, guns are like vehicles. Small little improvements don't really add much overall value. But you'll have the piece of mind that you've installed a higher quality part that should last as long as you do.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Most custom MSH are more for aesthetics than performance. While swapping the mainspring itself may effect trigger pull the more noticeable impact of a new MSH will be on the grip and feel of the gun in your hand. There are not many ways to anchor the hammer strut and drive the hammer forward. Midway, Brownells and RRA all carry MSH from about $30-$75.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have used Ed Brown parts with great success.

5. jismail

jismail Member

I replaced my MSH with a Kimber factory replacment part and I had zero fit or finish issues with it - true drop in.

I went with the extended mag well version and arched backstrap and I am very happy with it as the finish matches exactly, and it replaced the nylon version with metal which is my personal preference.

[​IMG]

6. JoeM

JoeM New Member

jismail- That looks great!! I was going to go with the arched version but I'm now going to seriously consider the extended mag version as well. Question though, where does the drop pin go? Obviously it usually goes in the bottom left of the frame next to the grip (in your pic)...but I don't see it there.

Glad you posted bc I figured since Kimber originally had a plastic piece in there that all their replacements would have been plastic too.

7. JoeM

JoeM New Member

Actually, another off topic question for you. What tool do you use to disassemble the mag release?

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would just replace it with another Kimber Mainspring Housing, because from what I've heard Kimber can be very anal about warranty service particularly about having non Kimber parts on the firearm.

9. jismail

jismail Member

The pin is stil there, just covered up by the extended magwell grips which are square cut on the bottom and dont have the pin radius

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

A small standard screwdriver.