Broken down bulk packs

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Josh1158, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Is it legal for the lgs to buy 22 bulk packs from walmart and sell them in 100 round bags ?

2. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I have seen ziplock bags of ammo for sale in lots of places from lots of different people.

3. 1911love

1911love New Member

Yes. You only need an FFL(type 06) to sell home loaded ammo. Anyone and any store(except prohibited persons) may sell commercially manufactured ammo with out a license or permit.

What that LGS is doing is legal, but it's not right IMO. I wouldn't buy a thing there and I would tell everyone I know to not shop there.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When I was a kid (back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth) country stores would sell individual shotshells. Nothing illegal about selling commercially loaded ammo. They DO begin to assume some liability when they repackage a product, but that is for lawyers to argue, and not a crime.

That did not necessarily come from WalMart- he may have been able to get only bulk packs from his distributor- and his customers do not always want 500 or 333 rounds of ammo.

5. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I was about to say this very same thing. It's possible he got a 1,400 round bucket or other ridiculously large amount and is trying to make rounds available to people that can't afford such large quantities. I would say if he's offering both large and small quantities to his customers, he's probably trying to provide his customers a service. It takes time to count out each individual round and bag them up, so you can't expect them for the bulk price.

It's hard to tell in this day and age whether a dealer is gouging or providing a service. I would talk to them to let their attitude decide which way they are leaning. :)

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

My LGS did this back when the worst of the shortage was going on. He got a 500 RD bulk box of 5.56, and counted out 20 to a bag. I helped him, it did take a while to do......

7. JWagner

JWagner New Member

One possible snag could be getting the stated quantity exactly right so that every customer gets exactly what they paid for. Usually a certified scale is used to "count" the items that are pulled from bulk. I worked in a place that used scales that were displaying to a thousandth of a pound.

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, but scales are usually used for pieces too small to count effectively by hand. Or huge quantity. 5.56 is easy to count by hand, especially if you don't do it all day long.

9. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I wonder if he uses gloves to keep his prints off the brass :eek:

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

No, he didn't, it wasn't particularly shiny in the 1st place.....