Broke down and bought a DPMS AR10

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Txhillbilly, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Since we don't know what the future will bring with any weapons ban,I figured that I'd just bite the bullet and get one now.
    I bought a DPMS LR-260H in 260 Remington.I wanted to get one in 6.5 Creedmoor,but that caliber only comes with a 24" barrel,and I wanted to stick with a 20".It's a little lighter,and will be easier to hunt with.

I was really suprised that a local dealer had several of them available from his distributor.I called DPMS before I called the dealer,and they said it would be a 6-8 month wait if I ordered one from them today.The dealer said he would get it in next week from the distributor.
    The price was good also,I paid $1035 for the rifle.I figured the prices would be higher with everyone scrambling to buy guns before the election.

Now I gotta order some brass and dies so I can shoot it!
    Here's what it looks like-
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/260H--243_ep_152-1.html

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Congrats on your new rifle. Sounds like you put some thought into the buy.

I agree with your thoughts about the gun situation coming into the election. I've been thinking about going the stripped lower route and buying a handful. I can get some Rock River lowers for about $110 OTD at my LGS.

I don't have a real interest in the platform mainly because I don't want to feed it the ammo. I just don't want to be on the outside looking in.

3. Txhillbilly

Thanks,I've thought about getting this platform for a long time but didn't want another 308 caliber rifle.The 6.5 calibers have my interest right now,and since the 260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor are so close with ballistics/performance I figured that would be my choice.
    I went with DPMS since they offer more options/accessories with their platform than Armalite or RRA. About the only thing I'll change right a way will be the trigger,I'll install a RRA NM 2 stage in it ASAP.

4. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Tx- congrats and that looks great! Looking forward to a range report :)

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You'll love it.:)

I have a DPMS LR308 AP-4 carbine in 7.62X51. Great gun.

6. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

I have the Panther 24" bull in 5.56 and love it.

[​IMG]

Good shooter also (3ea 5-shot groups at 100 yards):

[​IMG]

Now I'm thinking a 20" 260 might be a good investment. :)

7. Txhillbilly

Well,Hurricane Sandy delayed shipment of my DPMS LR-260H.It was originally supposed to arrive yesterday,but since the distributors warehouse had no power,it wasn't shipped until Monday according to the LGS.He said it should arrive tomorrow,but I can't get up to the store until next Monday.
    The LGS is closed on Monday,but the owner said he'd meet me at the store so I could get it. How's that for customer service!!!

I've never cared much for Remington brass,so I picked up 200 rds of once fired 243 Winchester brass to resize into 260 Remington.
    My dies,case trimmer, 300-6.5 cal bullets,and Weaver picatinney riser showed up today from Midway-USA,so I should have the brass resized and some loaded up for testing when the rifle gets here.
    I'll probably steal the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 off my 300WM and top the LR-260 with it until I save up the money for optics for it.I also have a Sightron SII 4-16x42 that I could use,but I'd rather use the SIII.