Bring a knife to a gun fight.

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by JTJ, Sep 26, 2013.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo[/ame]

2. Donn

Donn Active Member

Been a while since the 21 foot rule reared it's ugly head.

3. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

The 'reactionary gap', I know it well!;)
    That is part of an OLD training film.:cool:

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Obviously not NYPD or LAPD. The "perp" actually had a weapon and had an opportunity to present it. :eek:

5. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Knives are more dangerous than guns.

6. MisterMcCool

How about some common sense knife reform?

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

I can't say I agree. It would have to be in the right hands. But to me, they're scarier for sure. I just have this innate aversion, as most people do, to getting sliced open.

8. MisterMcCool

You know, bullet proof vests will not stop a knife puncture?

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well that depends on many factors... I've seen knives that wouldn't punch through denim. There have been many unsubstantiated stories of knives becoming lodged in ballistic material. And if there's a plate being used...obviously it'll stop a blade.

They're not rated at all for knives though. Makes sense to me that they wouldn't be, as that's not what they're deigned for. That's why I wear chain mail over my vest when I go grocery shopping.

10. MisterMcCool

You too? ;)

11. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I live in stereotypical suburbia. I was in the back yard doing some yard work which included chopping down a couple of saplings with my kabar. The guy next door (with a maobama sticker on his car), gave me this look of fear and astonishment like I was rolling around in a Sherman tank or something. He probably slices his tofu with a plastic spork.

12. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Chainmail is for dweebs I wear a full suit of shiny knight armor.

13. JayCody

JayCody New Member

We need an assault knife ban, especially because knives don't need to be reloaded.

14. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I heard a story on the radio a couple of months back about a woman who beat her husband with a frying pan. I guess since she hit him multiple times with out reloading, it is a high capacity, semi automatic assault frying pan. I for one think it is time for legislative action

15. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Indeed, far to many people have been killed with assault knives. You don't need but a dull plastic knife to cut your food.

16. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Government cheese now comes in a can so you don't need a knife at all.

17. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Even better
    We are on the road to a assault knife free society

18. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

Best get rid of my Kevlar based uranium depleted knife that can cut through 6" of beef hindquarter in a single strike then. It also has a laser guided handle that can direct the blade towards it's target if thrown and it's painted in cerakote black to hide it from airport scanners.

19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Just a minor correction here. Bullet proof vests do not exist. They are only bullet resistant. Among the many things that will pass through Kevlar fibers is a properly shaped .22 long rifle bullet. Other things that will go through in areas with no plates include:

1. Double edge knives
    2. Bow and crossbow broadheads
    3. Filet knives
    4. Automatic center punches
    5. Ice picks
    6. #1 phillips screwdriver (reed and Prince for those with knowledge of old tools)
    7. Rifle calibers when fired at a pistol caliber rated vest.

This list is by no means complete, and it does not take into account or reveal the weak points of vest design. I am working from knowledge gained in a vocational school criminal justice class I attended while in high school. Our instructors, one was a 20 year veteran of the NYSP, the other a 30 year veteran of the secret service, and they both stressed that body armor does not make the wearer invincible. IOW, even with armor, situational awareness still is still required. And yes, bith of my instructors stress the 21 foot rule, along with several photos and reports of knife attacks and the aftermath. Not a pretty picture.

20. 44_Special

44_Special New Member

Yes....be careful before some scumbag slices you from appetite to thirst....