Breathing techniques

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by cblowe13, Jul 12, 2013.

1. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Any suggestions on breathing techniques when shooting a rifle? My groups haven't been what they should be and I would like to here what you have to say. Hopefully axxe will chime in a few words of wisdom.

2. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I was taught the half-breath technique. Take a deep breath, let out half of it, press the trigger, exhale. It steadies the muscles in your body to tighten up groups without having you holding your breath more than a second.

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

A thing to remember: trigger squeeze is just as important.

Take a deep breath
    Let it all the way out
    Breath in half way
    While breathing in half way squeeze the trigger.

4. hoovco

hoovco New Member

I agree with this. Work on your breathing technique, but be sure to pay attention to your other fundamentals. Steady position, cheek to stock, and your trigger squeeze are just as important.

5. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Just keep practicing. The inhaled breath doesn't have to be "deep" and you do not have to exhale "all the way" like your blowing up an air mattress lol.
    If practice inhaling a short breath and exhaling you will notice an almost calmness and very short drop in heart rate when about halfway through the exhale. If you practice this can be accomplished very quickly. Snipers in combat don't always have 5-10 seconds to get their breathing ready before taking a shot.

6. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Glad I don't have to worry about being a sniper lol but would be cool to be as good of a shot. What's everyone's thought a out the trigger finger I'm good with handguns using the almost middle of my finger but I'm a very good shot not bragging by no means. But I've heard this was wrong should I go for tip of finger on the rifle trigger and try it out don't want to change it for handguns

7. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Technique...........

Are you using iron sights or a scoped rifle, either way, are you comfortable in the position your in, sight in your target, squeeze out any slack you may have in your trigger, take a deep breath, let out half, hold till sights are on target, squeeze, don't pull the trigger. Follow the bullet path not the target. And I just love zingers, no matter how well you shoot...............lol......:)

8. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

I think that's a problem I have is the squeeze I think I pull sometimes not thinking about it causing flyers

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I was taught to shoot at the natural pause at the end of exhaling. If you are shooting with body support only(prone,sitting, kneeling, standing), then you want as much of the support of the rifle to be from bone as you can manage. Muscles demand oxygen and if they are under tension they will tremble. If they starve for oxygen they will tremble. If I'm taking my time I will take a couple preloading breaths that are deep and fairly quick, then take a slow breath as I watch my front sight or crosshairs get on the bullseye. It us best if they sit there after all of your breath is expelled. This means you have achieved a natural resting point if aim.

In your breathing pattern you will notice your body will have a natural pause at the end of exhaling and inhaling. The body moves least during these natural pauses and you aren't using your diaphragm and accessory muscles to hold the breath. If possible adjust body position until you have a natural point of aim that leaves you in target at a natural breathing pause.

Then squeeze the trigger.

10. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Very good thoughts there. I will try this hopefully tomorrow pray atleast. Here in sc we haven't stopped getting rain for weeks now every day. But I understand what you mean by that because my arms start shaking heavily I just needed a way to calm myself when I do shoot standing

11. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

If I'm shooting for extreme accuracy, I get a full grip. The middle of my finger (between 2nd and 3rd digit) will rest on the trigger. When I squeeze the trigger I more or less close my hand like I'm making a fist. This eliminates pull to the left or right.

12. KMGunGirl

KMGunGirl New Member

Breath in. Release halfway. Pull the trigger. (The trigger should be on the pad of your index finger, not even close to the first knuckle. This will eliminate your finger moving the gun even the slightest bit.) Follow through. Don't take your finger off the trigger until the cartridge has left the muzzle.

13. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Where you place the trigger on your finger is about personal preference. People are different sizes and have big and small and in-between finger sizes. The important part is that you're able to pull the trigger straight to the rear.

Telling everyone to use the tip of their finger is like telling someone to drive your car without adjusting the mirrors or the seat.

14. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Good analogy.

15. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

You want to breath from your diaphragm (abdominal muscles) and not from your chest. In through nose out through your mouth, this exchanging of air allows you to focus and still yourself. Picture; Breath clear and calm like a newborn sleeping.

Ideally trigger pull should occur between heartbeats.. However when I'm asked about trigger squeeze and holding ones breath.
    My mantra is.
    *full breath
    *exhale to halfway point
    *stop & hold breath
    *squeeze trigger
    Stopping and holding your breath halfway on the exhale temporarily by-passes your body's early warning systems of "we are not breathing here"

16. NOVA

NOVA New Member

17. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Are you slinging up correctly? This is a great, simple video, that shows the loop and hasty sling. Either should help improve groupings if you're not already doing it, regardless of what rifle you're shooting.

[ame]http://youtu.be/fL4hncfEdOk[/ame]

18. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

19. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I was shooting against a pretty good hot shot in a skeet tournament several years ago and I completely ruined his score and beat him by asking him, just before he approached the first station, "Just before you pull the trigger, do you breathe in or breathe out?" After the round, he called me an SOB and I just laughed knowing I had psychologically defeated him.
    ct

20. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

That's pretty good! I appreciate all the help fellas.