"Breaking in" a new gun?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 99zulu, Jul 6, 2012.

1. 99zulu

99zulu New Member

I bought a Ruger SR40 a fee months ago, and had a lot of jamming problems. However, after putting a couple hundred rounds through it, the problems have lessened.
    Is this typical of a new handgun? Are there particular ones that need to be "broken in" and ones that do not?

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

It doesn't hurt to give them a couple hundred rounds to settle themselves in. If you keep having problems, call Ruger and have it shipped back.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Age old debate---Break In Period----
    Shoot it-
    Clean it -
    Shoot it some more-
    A lot of issues will cease after you run a few hundred rounds thru a new simi auto hand gun-
    Not much of a beliver in typical - Too many varibles :eek:

4. 99zulu

99zulu New Member

Alright, thanks for the info. That was fast as Hell lol.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Naw- We're just SIMI fast :p

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Some ammo ,even fmj ammo just does not run as well as a different brand or weight when new as it should. Try a different weight and or brand. The ammo you have now may run great after another 100 rounds. Also see if your feed ramp could usea bit of extra polishing. I metal polish and a cotton patch wrapped around a brush chucked in a drill will do .Or some 1000gr wet/dry sand paper oiled will do.

7. dax

dax New Member

Never haf any issues with a Glock out the box. That aside, my friend has a .40 Millenium which jammed all the time. He tried everything to solve rhe problem to no avail. One day at the range I dissassembled the pisto and found. nothing wrong. I reinserted the recoil spring the opposite it was beforr me handling it. That splved the problem. FYI

8. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

My glock 23 had quite a few failures when it was new. At the 500th round, its reputation decided to clock in. Several thousand rounds later and i have not experienced another malfunction of any kind from it. In fact it, replaced my xd, h&k, and kimber as my primary carry weapon. (For reasons other than reliability) the glock is just a better compromise of several criteria that i want in a carry weapon.

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Not really sure if it helps or not, but when I first buy a brand new gun I will sit and rack the slide continuously while watching TV at night for the first several days. I will also dry-fire the gun during this time too. I believe it helps get all the friction points to loosen up and starts the break-in process without having to actually fire the gun. Just what I do. YMMV

10. amarshall0579

amarshall0579 New Member

When I first got my xd45 I also spent a few days racking the slide and dry friring the gun. During this time I also got use to breaking the gun down. Before my first range time with it I Brown it down and gave it a really good cleaning and reoiled everything. With about 500 rounds though of now I have had no problems out of it.

11. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Just put about 50 rounds through a new Ruger SR9c. About 1/2 the time the trigger didn't reset itself and I had to use my finger to push it forward. Hope this is temporary. I must say, after cleaning, loading shooting and cleaning again... it aint no Glock, those boys have it figured out. Sure am glad I didn't get rid of my 17 for this thing. I had hopes this would be my carry piece, but not in the near future at least until the bugs are worked out. Do like the mag extension, great idea. Will see what happens after "break in".

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Shot one. Didn't like the trigger.

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I had the exact same thing happen with mine when I first bought it. I ended up having to send it back to the factory for repairs. They corrected the issue and it's been flawless since returning from the factory.

14. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Knock on wood never had a problem with a new gun that was not my fault I.e. limp wrist, cheap ammo, failed to properly clean it prior to first range visit and I have been shooting over 60 years. In that time I did experience one major (kaboom) failure with a used .40 cal handgun that I had recently purchased.:D I tend to only buy new guns now.

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Clean the striker & channel (or watever its called)? Lot of gunk in there from factory.
    The wife has had a SR9c for several yrs with zero problems - Well, there was a issue with the supplied 17rd mag but its never used :eek:

16. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Thanks for the advice. Thought I gave it a pretty good going over but I might have missed something. Did put a drop of oil on the back side of the trigger...another 50 rounds and it only happened twice which is 2 times too many but seems like I'm on the right track.

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Was going to send you a link via PM but unable? Guess you need to enable in your profile ?
    Anyway i'll put it here- Best for the Ruger SR9C -Pat attention to J Herne in particualar-
    Don't think i'm breakin any rules?
    http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=2

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  18. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Thanks... looks like some great reading.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

No problem - joined there when i bought my first SR9 - Came in real handy when i got the SR9C, they were still scarce then & not much info from experienced owners :)