Break-in is a criminal activity or Noob mis-speak.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by canebrake, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Break-in is a criminal activity or Noob mis-speak.

The problem with new 1911's and particularly with new 1911 users is summed up in the first post they make after the cash has been exchanged for the gun; "Just got my new (fill in the blank) 1911, what can I do to improve her?" Most of the time this question is posted before the gun is released from purgatory.

Want to improve your new gun? Then open the box and RTFM.

This predicament is what I call P.E.B.T.A.H. (Problem Exists Between Trigger And Holster) and can be verified with statements like on my second clip (it’s a magazine) the gun jams. Really? You know there’s an issue and you have only run 14 rounds?

1. Don’t do anything to, or complain about the “new” gun until you have run 500 rounds of 230 gr Ball (that’s Full Metal Jacket) ammo downrange.
    2. Don’t try HP’s, +P’s or anything other than what JMB designed the thing to shoot (during this test).
    3. Don’t shoot any of the first 500 rounds at a target located greater than 10 meters away. (it’s a gun test not a competition)
    4. Don’t clean it, don’t field strip it, do nothing but run a jag down the barrel to make sure there is no cosmoline remaining from shipping protection. If you don’t get the full 500 rounds done in one shoot, let it marinate in the soot and range sweat until you get back to the job at hand.
    5. OK, you can wipe the exterior down but don’t go inside yet.

That job is NOT Break-In, it’s a "New Gun Test" to decide if you’re going to send it back to the manufacturer and have them make it right.

This is the time to check for the following:
    • Does it feed with all the mags that came with it?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock on the last round?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with only one round loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with two rounds loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with three rounds loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with four rounds loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with five rounds loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with six rounds loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with seven rounds loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag +1?
    • Where does the brass fall?
    • Does the gun feel solid?
    • Is anything found loose? Grips? Sights? Barrel?........
    • Yes, the slide stop/release is tight. (it’s a new gun)
    • Trigger take-up?
    • Trigger break? It should be a surprise.
    • Trigger reset?
    • Does it shoot to aim?
    • Did you take notes?

Shoot the snot out of it. You may discover it's fine, just the way the engineers designed it.

You’ll thank us.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

have a post or two get under your skin today? LOL

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

When you're as old as me.....everything gets under your skin.

4. cankiller

cankiller New Member

Maybe its just their way of saying "Hey.....look what I got"......

thanks for the advice though

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Cane, as always, you are spot on.

Thanks.

6. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

I get and agree with what you are saying to an extent, but if a gun jams on the first round of every second mag you put through it, it seems silly to put 500 rounds (~$200 of federal) before you start asking what you/the gun is doing wrong. I think after a box if you have a repetitive problem you can start to narrow it down.

I absolutely agree. That's why I call it a "New Gun Test" and with results ^ as listed would have me back to the factory ASAP! - cane

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
  7. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

I'm on ur side had to explain this to the woman just got a new ruger p95 only put three hundred rounds through it so far. told her one of the mags is having some FTE and FTF, she freaked out thinking i had bought a crap gun. Put 100 rounds first day with 4-6 problems with the one mag next day put another 200 and only had 3-4 problems. you have to work the gun in it's not a drill that u can pull out the box and run full bore till the batteries die, it has many small peices that all need to get broke in like a good pair of boots.

8. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

Yeah I get that, but with the experience here, I think after a hundred or two rounds someone could say, is this normal? They may just be doing something wrong, or someone could reassure them and say, yeah my gun did that too try another 200 rounds, or say, holy crap, thats unsafe, box it up!

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I can relate----
    Been having (or trying) to think twice before i type lately on more than a couple of posts :eek:

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

How many times do you think it should be said tho?

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

All I'm going to do to improve my new 1911 is touch up the rear sight dots. They were scratched when I got it. Not the whole rear sight, just the dots, almost like it had to have been done intentionally.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

I may polish the barrel bushing face. Its the only piece of stainless on a parkerized gun, I think it would look sweet blingy.

13. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

I love this forum.

14. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

Well, I think there is a difference between someone not using the search feature (which I haven't found on the mobile site, I should mention) and having issues with their gun before they get to the coveted 500 round mark. If you can't get through your first box of rounds with a new pistol, I don't see a problem with turning to the experts. That being said, some use of the search feature should be employed.

15. parinoid54

parinoid54 New Member

Want to improve your new gun? Then open the box and RTFM

CANE! Did you use a dirty word?!?:eek:

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What.....Factory.......??

[​IMG]

17. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Seems that Kimber agrees with canebrake & says you need 500 rounds before bothering them. On the other hand, a factory rep for another manufacturer says that if a pistol doesn't feed properly from day one, it's broke & should be sent in for repair. Makes it kinda tough for a noob to know what to do. :D

18. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Cane, thanks for posting this. There were a couple things on the list that I've never even considered.

19. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

That's why I would never own a Kimber. That would be like buying a new car that runs like crap and you take it back to the dealer and he tells you that is normal and you need to run 1000 gallons of fuel through it first. I have never bought a gun that didn't run right out of the box and if I did it would sure as hell go back to the manufacturer. If you figure ammo at 15 dollars a box it would cost you 150 bucks just to find out that there really is something wrong.

Mugger: Give me your wallet and let rape your wife
    You: You're lucky this gun is new and won't work

WTF?

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think some have taken what Cane has written down out of context. in other words, don't go to the possible and needless expence of trying to fix something that isn't broke or buying a bunch of aftermarket parts and putting them in a gun to try and fix something that they won't fix. i have seen many firearms in the past that needed many rounds fired through them to establish a smooth functioning firearm. some firearms if the fitting tolerances are tight, they need to establish a wear pattern to achieve smooth operation. for the most part in reference to some firearms i do agree with his procedures and have used them to some degree with some. also it is your firearm, and you have to make the decision as to if you feel there is a problem that in your opinion requires it to go back for warranty work. i will also say this, as it has been my experiance with 1911's in general, some problems also come back to the magazines, as many of them have very well made pistols, but come with inferior magazines. sometimes a simple change to quality magazines will make a world of difference in functioning of the pistol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.