Break-Free CLP: Interesting Article

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by ZeusEcho, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Allot of people here use and recommend Break-Free CLP so tried to find out a little more about it and ran across this article.

http://65.48.65.168/Interviews/breakfree.htm

Great read if you're interested and now I know why so many recommend it!

I just ordered some :D

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It is really good stuff. I use it on my AR and Mini as well as the rest of my guns. Maybe that is why my DPMS has never malfunctioned. I was given a bunch of sample packets but will have to buy some soon.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Breakfree is Great Stuff! Ninja, Thank you for the fine report! I have used it for years! There is one issue however. If it sets for a long period the properties in it will seperate. SO! All you have to do when you pick up the bottle is simply SHAKE IT!;)
    I also like the Mobile One Synthetic Formula that we have posted here before. Great stuff and for the amount it makes for the money it is excellent lubricant and great for the semi auto, auto weapons and other weapons.

Mix:
    1 Qt. Mobil One 5W50 Synthetic Motor Oil with
    1/2 Qt. Mobil One Synthetic Transmission Fluid
    *Makes a whole 1 1/2 Qts. of Fine Weapon Lubricant.
    You can put it in small dispensor bottles. I keep my bulk supply in one of those small 2 cycle red plastic gas cans from Wal-Mart and poor it in the small bottles when I need to fill them.

4. levelcross

levelcross New Member

It is a good idea to shake most liquids before using them to clean your guns. I like CLP and several others, and I have given away 2/3 of my synthetic mix that comes so highly recommended on this site. Everyone loves it and for the cost it is a nice gift to a noob or friend.

This is why I love this site, good honest info with minimal BS :)

5. ZeusEcho

Thanks for the suggestions and yeah I've heard the Mobil One Synthetic thing mentioned here allot. :D Something I'll also try!

I love this site also. The first firearms forum I joined and have since found no need to look elsewhere!

6. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

Can one pick up beakfree clp at their lgs?

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Ninja,

We have used it at the carbine schools for over 10 years. So it has stood up to the test.
    Works real well and like I said to buy a whole quart and a half of good lube in smaller bottles would cost significantly more!

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

It is available at Walmart believe it or not. I have been using it since I got out of the army in 1986

9. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

I'm going to go pick some up tonight and give it a try. Put 600 rounds through my ar this afternoon and it is in need of a serious cleaning.

10. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Yes everything from .5 oz to 4.0 oz squeeze bottles to spray cans. I have a few Gallon Jugs and quart pump spray bottles.

11. ZeusEcho

Dayum sweet! ;)

12. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

I've been using it for about 6 months now, after u use it a few times everything stays nice an slick an doesn't get all gummed up. Been very happy with it

13. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I've been using Break Free for years and love it. I'm gonna have to give the Mobile One mix a try though.

14. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

For cleaning, it is recommended to put a damp patch through the bore and let it soak overnight then do a thorough cleaning.

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Break free CLP works ok. I prefer separate cleaners and lubricants. CLP is a "one size fits most" solution.

That "article" is a self serving puff piece...I mean press release from the PR dept.

16. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I like CLP but still use solvents for the tough stuff. Just got a gallon jug and it was 60+ so the Mobil 1 mix might be something to try. My buddy is Sheriff SRT shoots alot in training and swears by the Mobil 1. The CLP pump sprayer is kinda a mystery to me, all mine does is shoot a stream, won't be buying another one.

17. therhino

therhino New Member

So, this Break Free CLP is the same stuff I was issued in the Marines?
    I'll have to look into it, as that stuff was good/great for standard cleanings. We went to the solvent tanks any time we had to fire blanks though. The BFAs made sure every speck of carbon was locked securely inside your gas tube, barrel, bolt carrier, and chamber.

18. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

Maybe, maybe not, if you are old enough it would have been LSA in a green plastic bottle shaped like a Vizine bottle. In the Army CLP came in the consumer bottle, don't know about the Marine version.

19. REDTAIL

REDTAIL Member

I have been using EEZOX for years, with no problems, But I will give the Breakfree CLP a try also.

20. MarkAD

MarkAD New Member

Overkill your right it is a puff piece, but every word is true.
    I use CLP on all metal and it works great protecting it.
    I just realized I should be using it on my hand tools too.