Break Action Shotguns...

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by JCANNON, Apr 4, 2013.

1. JCANNON

JCANNON New Member

I am interested in getting a break action shotgun (most likely a single shot because they're cheaper). Any recommendations? I'd like to stay in the $200-300 range. Also are H&Rs or Rossis any good?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

H&Rs have been around for a long time. They have always made good inexpensive guns.

3. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

H&R's are good guns but for that same price range you can get a new pump Mossberg 500 or maverick. probably even a Remington 870.

4. JCANNON

JCANNON New Member

Nice... Would you happen to know if the Pardner model is any good?

5. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

the pardner pump, or the pardner single shot? for awhile the pump & single shot both carried that name

6. JCANNON

JCANNON New Member

The single shot sorry

7. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

no problem. we've had a 20 gauge single shot pardner in the family for almost 20 years & it still works great. i'd recommend a recoil pad since these guns are fairly light & can kick like a mule with heavy loads.

H&R's barrel program also let's you put a different gauge barrel on the same receiver, so if you bought a 12 guage & want to shoot 20 gauge or get a rifled slug barrel, send it to them & they will fit another another one.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Perfectly acceptable for a single shot.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

NEF Pardner single shot shotguns are fine examples of a good budget single shot. My great grandfather had a H&R that was made probably over 100 years ago. It has a home made firing pin in it. But it still will fire. Though no one shoots it any more. Same basic design. There is not a lot to them. They kick pretty good because of the light weight and lack of a butt pad. But they work.

10. JCANNON

JCANNON New Member

Sweet...surprised they're not more popular then

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I've always thought they were undervalued, but I'm biased because they were manufactured right up the road from me. They are pretty common so I think that partially keeps the value down.

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I love and old single shot break action. Only have one and its broken.

13. jeepboy4life

jeepboy4life New Member

I have 3 break opens, 1 O/U, 1SxS and 1 single shot. The single shot is a new england arms pardner in 410, it was my first gun and I still love it to this day, shoot rabbits with it every season. I would highly recommend them to anyone!

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of break-action rifles & shotguns, and most of em are H&R...............