Brasso in the Tumbler

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by yokel59, Jan 4, 2009.

1. yokel59

yokel59 New Member

Just wondering if anyone uses Brasso in the tumbler to clean there brass? If so does it hurt the primers or the powder in long term storage?.... Thanks

2. Jay

Jay New Member

I've only been reloading for a couple of years. That being said, I've been told by more than one long-time reloader, that Brasso, or any ammonia-based polish, tends to continue to affect the brass, and may cause issues over time. They wouldn't pin it down, but neither one of them uses it. Instead, they both use a bit of Flitz polish, commonly sold in gun shops. I've tried Flitz, and while it does polish nicely, I'm more inclined to make sure the brass is simply clean. If it could be proven that highly polished brass shoots more accurately, I could change my mind.

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Just say no to Brasso

I agree with Jay, shiny nickel or dull brass, seems to shoot the same. I use standard media, no additives. H.J.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

NEVER use BRASSO it will ruin your brass.

I use untreated corn cobb media with a few capfulls of Nufinish car wax or I use MidwayUSA's media treatment. Either way works good for shiny brass.

I'm very anal about how my ammo looks. I want the shiniest ammo on the line I don't care if it shoots better or not I call it pride in my work. That and nice shiny ammo just looks like it shoots better.

If you are cleaning range pick up brass from an outdoor range I would use walnut hulls first for clean them then run them threw a treated corn cobb batch.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

NEVER, NEVER, EVER use an amonia based cleaner with cartridge cases!

I have two tumblers. The first has Midway's brass polish and corncob for cleaning cases. The second has Flitz and corncob for polishing.

6. 1hole

1hole New Member

AMMONIA is a liquid that is harmful to brass, Brasso includes ammonia so doen't use it wet. We can add it to the media and tumble it overnight so the ammonia will evaporate and it's safe to use then. But why? Brasso is much more expensive than any cheap autopolish without ammonia and will work just as well on brass. Nu-Finish is popular because it's cheap and has no ammonia.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You MAY be OK by allowing the Ammnonia to evaporate but I am unwilling to risk my safety by using any product likely to degrade the strength of cartridge brass when there are several good products available.

8. yokel59

yokel59 New Member

Ok then. Brasso gets the no vote... I will be making a call to midway this week... As for why Brasso? I live in A.K.A Hee Haw Hell....lol and Brasso is cheaper then most auto waxs.. around $1.50 to $1.00 a can...

Thanks again for the Info and help.

Kevin

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Visit you neighborhood rock shop. Ask about powdered abrasives used in rock tumbling. I use just a pinch of tin oxide added to corn cob or walnut media every 10th run. Cheap, does not hurt brass. you might also try rice. dry, of course.

10. pirate

pirate New Member

If you want really shiny brass soak it in kool aid first, rinse it then toss in the tumbler, dry it off first, if you want to, but I just put a heat lamp on it so it shines into the top of it. Just don't put the lamp so close it melts the tumbler!! The citric acid in the kool aid takes all the tarnish off, I've been doing this for years and no harm has come to me or my brass. All it takes is about 45-60 minutes in the kool aid.

11. pirate

pirate New Member

Anyone ever try baking soda in tumbling media? I've been wondering about that.

12. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I used Brasso for years. No problem if you let the ammonia evaporate first. I use Meguiars polish now.

13. huntintoo

huntintoo New Member

Cleaning and Polishing media seprately

Not the most particular reloader in the world but I am anal about some things. Accuracy comes 1st seperate from pretty brass, but clean builds confidence in your loads also. I found that I clean with Walnut media and Polish with Corn. Should there be very tarnished brass that needs to be cleaned, I add a couple of caps full of turpentine to the media. Cleans like a dream! Then polish with dillion, midway etc... polish. Just another oppinion but it is mine!:D

14. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

brasso

I wonder what it does to all the bras candle sticks and othe bras products like water faucets??I have used it for longer than most of you have been alive.never had a problem and I know others who have too.any examples of damage??:eek: :rolleyes: :D

15. joed

joed New Member

Never use ammonia to clean brass. I used Brasso for about 2 years and never saw any bad impact. However, when I stored the rounds for a few years the problems showed up. Upon firing I noticed a lot of split cases. The cases that didn't split on firing split during resizing. So I learned that ammonia is not good for brass, and I'm alive.

So, the real question becomes what cleans brass and does not cause a chemical reaction?

I now you mineral spirits and walnut shells. After 2 hours in the tumbler my brass is as clean as Brasso ever got it. If you put to much of the mineral spirits in the media just let it sit and it evaporates.

JoeD

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Your brass faucets are not holding back tens of thousands of pounds of pressure are they? if they are I gotta see them.

Brasso is bad for firearm brass If you don't want to believe it then fine.

When was the last time your candle sticks pushed a 50gr bullet to 3800fps?

You are talking about two totaly different things. My bunghole hasen't leaked in 33 years doesn't mean I can set a effing handgranade off in it and expect it to work for that as well. Just like you can't expect a Geo Metro to tow 80,000 # of cargo over the Rocky Mt.

Some times you just need to keep your mouth shut. It will make you look a lot smarter in the long run.

17. Desmond

Desmond New Member

Ammonia causes brass to harden and become brittle, hence the split case mouths mentioned. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, ammonia is a copper solvent. Ammonia is fine for removing copper fouling from barrels but not for brass cases.

Des

18. 1hole

1hole New Member

"Brasso is cheaper then most auto waxs.."

I haven't bought any Brasso since my USAF days, long time ago, but I remember the cans were quite small. A full pint of Nu-Finish car polish sold for something like $6 in a Dollar Store last time I bought some.

Understand that liquid car wax IS not the same thing as auto polish. The waxes do tend to be more expensive and won't work nearly as well for tumbling.

Don't know a thing about stone polish or their grits but I wouldn't take a chance on firing any internal rock dust from a case down my bores.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  19. 1hole

1hole New Member

That was kinda my point. I wasn't trying to talk anyone into using Brasso. ??

But, like water in a wet shirt, when the liquid is gone, it's gone. There is no lethal ammonia residue waiting for a brass case to pounce on.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  20. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

brasso

I have used brasso and my cases are pistol and 30 yrs old.if you dont want to use it fine.I also dont load any thing till my ears ring.I am refering to pistol cases I have used 38/45.and in compitition since 69.stopped when I came here in 2000.:rolleyes:
    oh yes typical red neck.o well what can you expect.