Firearms Talk banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Administrator
Yeah, the estate of John Browning still owes me a ton of money for creating the .45ACP for him.......... 馃槢 And they keep telling me the check is in the mail.

Phat Phingered typing. One day you too will be old and klutzy. Think you are scheduled for this coming Thursday!

Premium Member
If for ANY reason an aluminum round does not chamber, inspect it closely for bullet set back. It does happen!!!
That will cause you a pressure issue if you fire it off. How much, who knows for certain.
When you clear the weapon of a round in the chamber, look at it also. Then fire it first next time out if it looks OK.

Bullet set back has been reported with aluminum rounds for a long time. Rare yes, but has been happening.
I can see where bullet setback would be more likely with aluminum cases as aluminum isn't as malleable and may not be able to "hold" a seated bullet in place as tightly as brass after being sized and the case mouth "belled". Another reason, as a reloader, aluminum is out as ammo for me. It's just a cheaper way to make ammo without being that much cheaper in price.

Registered
I'm not a reloader. Someday, but not today. Steel cases, I will not use. (Personal preference i guess). Steel is for AKs. But what about aluminum cases? I believe I read aluminum is cheaper then brass(a given) also NOT reloadable. For my situation, not a problem. What are the negatives of using aluminum? I'm very picky about my firearms. I've purchased a used Kimber 45 from a friend, one box of(50) steel case through it left its share of marks behind(I was there). Why I won't use steel. So that brings up the aluminum question.. I've heard, aluminum is way softer then brass,(agreed) but also leaves more deposits behind as a consequence?? Creating issues if not addressed correctly?? Anyone wish to share some TRUTH? I'm sure all will run, but I'm not a beat up my firearms kinda person. Don't get me wrong, I'll run the crap out my firearms, but I appreciate what I have too..
Other than not being reloadable, I've never had any issues shooting aluminum cased handgun ammo out of any of my 45 ACP or 40 S&W cartridged firearms.
From November of 1972 until January of 2000, my day job was gunsmith & in that time I saw hundreds of pistols that were wrecked by aluminon case ammo.
The problem is not the strength of aluminum cases, the problem is that aluminum is very flammable under high heat & pressure. When the case ignites (a very rare occurrence) the pressure is released into parts of the gun that it is not designed to withstand & you get a catastrophic failure.

Premium Member
I like guns....
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I like my aluminum like I like my women. Nowhere near my guns.

Borrowed from another forum.
Booya...
I like my aluminum like I like my women. Nowhere near my guns.

Borrowed from another forum.
Hahah.. nuff said.. agreed.. Im a mid term, keep, save, respect, well handled,
enthusiasts. Yes, I shoot my firearms, kinda person...But not looking to trash my hard earned dollars along the way person.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts