Brass options for new bolt action

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bradam, Feb 18, 2014.

1. bradam

bradam Member

I know I need to run new brass. Should I buy factory rounds to fire form or should I buy new brass or both. Which manufacture of brass would you recommend? This is my first bolt action.

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am afraid I do not follow you. Is this a wildcat caliber? Why would you need to fireform brass? Is there a reason you would not use once fired?

I fireform brass for three different wildcats. But I always use once fired brass.

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, just buy the appropriate caliber ammo, and run it.

4. bradam

bradam Member

good question

Nope not wildcat. I have ordered a 260 savage with select match barrel. I was under the impression to use virgin brass and then only use that brass in my rifle. So Please enlighten me.:)

5. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I suspect that if you have to ask that question, it doesn't matter. (Meaning, it sounds like someone was giving you advice on how to wring the absolute most accuracy out of the gun, which you are probably not capable of, given your question. (No offense, neither could I, and I'm taking an educated guess at the reason.) Try asking another guy here, jpattersonnh, he knows a lot about rifles. He's probably got one like yours.

6. bradam

bradam Member

I hear you.

No offense taken. I have fired a few shells in a grunt outfit and have a few ARs. I want to get in long distance shooting and have most of the reloading equipment to get started with ( I have never reloaded) I am just trying the right way to do this. Thanks for the jp name tip.:)

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Good luck. JPNH is a good guy for rifles, not sure about reloading. TXhillbilly may be good for reloading questions. Either way, everybody is going to tell you to read reloading manuals, 3 times, before you do anything. Probably good advice.

8. bradam

bradam Member

yes on books

I have Hornaday 9th edition, Speer manual 14, Lyman 49th edition, The beginners guide to reloading Ammunition, The reloading's bible,The ABCs of Reloading, Handbook for shooters and Reloading by P.O. Ackley Volumes I and II. I have been researching and gathering reloading supplies since last summer. My reloading room is almost complete. I feel now is the time I should stretch my wings and make contact with people of practical experience (application). Once again thank you for, the TXhillbilly contact. I believe I have heard of him or rather read a few of his comments.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There are a number of things you can do to wring the most out of your new gun. Start with decent brass. Any US manufacturer will make decent brass. Prep it right. Uniform the primer pockets, debur the flash holes, neck size if fired in YOUR gun, trim and anneal every 3rd time the brass is fired.

Beyond that, it comes down to loading. Benchrest or match primers, high quality bullets seated to the proper length and a suitable powder at a reasonable charge. With just these few details, just about any gun will outshoot the average shooter.

10. bradam

bradam Member

good anawer

Thank you for your straightforward answer. I am a keep it simple type of person, which your above explanation is. Of course the follow through steps are not as simple. I will have of a few more questions,for a later time as it is getting late. thanks again for your time

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I hear Lapua makers the best brass, period. Pricey, though.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Robocop is right. But before you try to make match ammo, you need to learn how to make just plain, safe ammo. You need to familiarize yourself with your equipment and the loading process. Safety is your biggest concern when it comes to reloading. And never...I say again, never exceed maximum loads.

I reload for about 15 different calibers including 3 wildcats.

Before you do anything else...read a book.

13. bradam

bradam Member

Once I get set up I was planning on reloading for handguns ( 3 calibers) until I felt confident, then moving on for the rifles ( 3 calibers) all the while referencing my books.

14. bradam

bradam Member

Have you heard anything about Hornadays primer pockets be soft at times?

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

16. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I shoot 260 Remington out of one of my 1000 yard comp rifles. The barrel was cut with a Remington match reamer, so it will not chamber correctly the thicker neck Lapua brass for example. I buy Remington brass and all is well. More than likely the Savage barrel is reamed for Remington dimension brass.

17. bradam

bradam Member

The barrel I ordered was the shieln select match. Do you think I will have the same issues. By the way what dies are you using?

18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

There's really no need in buying virgin brass unless you just want to. I resize once fired 243 brass for my 260. I personally don't like Remington brass,so I buy Winchester,Federal,and Nosler for most of my brass.
    Lapua is great brass,but it is pricey. Nosler makes nice brass also,but there's nothing wrong with the common brands,they just need prepped by you on the steps that the mfg's don't do like Nosler and Lapua.
    You will need to uniform the primer pockets,and also de-bur the flash holes.

I've never noticed enough difference through the chronograph to change to the Match primers. The speeds and extreme deviations were not that much different in my loads that I've compared them against to allow the extra cost for the Match primers.
    I will use magnum primers on standard loads when they perform better thru the chrono,but I haven't bought Match primers in many years.

I was talking about the Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass,not Hornady's brass in general. I've never had any problems from their 308 Match brass that I shoot.
    Anyone that shoot's the 6.5 Creedmoor,knows the problems we've had with their brass in that caliber.

19. bradam

bradam Member

I have the tools for the flash hole and primer pockets,good to now about the primers. How are the winchester primers? Time to go shopping for brass.

20. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I'm using Redding full length dies. Should call Shieln barrels and definitely find out what reamer they used on that barrel. Also, I haven't had any problems with the Remington brass and it does anneal well.

Sent from my C811 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app