brass hunting spots running dry

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ccrow175, Apr 17, 2013.

1. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

I've been reloading for a few years now. I live in a rural area right outside las vegas nevada, where tons of people escape the big city to go shooting. For years I have made weekend desert rides to go pick up brass people have left behind, but in all this madness it seems that as people are stockpiling more, they are definately shooting less. Spots where I would come home with trash bags full of brass, are simply producing no more than a pocket full at times. Any other brass pickers out there experiencing this? I'm wondering if this panic has caused people to simply stop shooting, or if it has created a massive rise in reloaders.

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I think people are more inclined to picking up their brass and looking at it as a tradeable commodity even if they don't reload.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

^^^^ This.^^^^^

4. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

One would think that type of hunting would be plentiful in the Vegas area. Oh, sorry, I missed the br.

5. bigjim

bigjim New Member

The answer to your question is that both are happening. Right after the 2008-2009 shortages, the outdoor ranges became bare of any pick up range brass, even non-reloaders kept their own brass in anticipation of starting to reload. Rifle brass is now very scarce unless you keep your own.

At indoor pistol ranges, there is still lots of 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP brass to be had. Fewer handgun shooters are reloaders because they think it is still cheaper to buy than reload (silly people). If you are looking for 38 spl or 357 mag cases, good luck on that, most are kept by the shooters.

Jim

6. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

The best test is place a call to Dillon or just about any other reloading press manufacture. If you get thru on your first call, you got really lucky, if not and your on hold for 40min, you can figure out what is really happening.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

That made no sense......

8. xring3

xring3 Member

I picked up my brass from the range after doing qualification for my carry license. Those conduction the training were somewhat perturbed as I was "cutting into THEIR stuff". Class wasn't over yet so I couldn't tell them to drop dead.