Brass for reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by beltor, Sep 9, 2012.

1. beltor

beltor New Member

I am starting to reload ammo (starting with 223). I am seeing all sorts of prices for different 223 brass. Is there a real differs betting them all?

2. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Yes. Some are thicker, some more uniform, some not so thick or uniform.

I buy the inexpensive Winchester brass and am well satisfied with .3-.5moa in my 30-06.

Some people swear by Lapua brass, very expensive.

3. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

I have picked up mainly Lake City brass. Funny most of my range pick up is LC. I have some PMC.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

try MidwayUSA.com or MidSouth Shooters Supply for brass. prices will vary according to brand and quantity ordered. most brass will work well for the average reloader.

5. RiverRat68

RiverRat68 RiverRat68 Supporter

Beltor, Check out the prices on BrassManBrass.com. I know they are honest and take care of their customers. I work there, his prices are hard to beat. Your most popular headstamps would be Lake City, Winchester, Federal, Remington, and Speer.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  6. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

I use range pickup, its amazing how many people leave their brass. Military crimped primer brass is the best, so you know for sure that its inly been shot once (if you have to remove the crimps)

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I use mainly range pickups. Works fine for me.

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I go to the range early on Monday mornings. There is always many calibers of once fired brass on the ground.;)

9. billt

billt New Member

+1 on Brassman Brass. This is 2,500 .223 cases I got from him a while back. It was mixed headstamp, and had crimped primer pockets. I only paid $120.00 for it shipped to my door. This is what it looked like after I processed and polished it.

[​IMG]

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Or go to Walmart and buy Federal loaded ammo for $6.75 per box and shoot it then use the brass.

11. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

I religiously pick up range brass, anytime I am at the range. I haven't bought pre loaded ammo for years. I load regularly and have hundreds or thousands of empties for the future. The trick is to always pick up range brass, even if its only 10-20 pieces. Works for me. Only brass I ever buy is for calibers that no one leaves brass for at the range, or leaves steel/aluminum cases, like 7.62x39mm Russian, 8x57mm Mauser or .303 British, etc.

12. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

People shooting Berdan brass, Steel or Aluminum cases piss me off. The cheap bastards, don't have the decency to leave me reloadable brass I can pick up... Lol

13. TerryM

TerryM New Member

For my ar10 I love LC match 308 brass. I mostly use range pickings when in season. I have been finding more small primer 45acp. No problem cept it is a pain in the butt when changing from. Lp to sp all the time.
    At this time I reload. 308 35whelen 30.06 45.70 338win mag 45acp 454 10mm

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012