brand new xds, round will not seat in chamber..

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by kyboy4u, Aug 15, 2014.

1. kyboy4u

kyboy4u New Member

Just got home with a new xds 9mm. When I rack the slide to seat a round the slide doesn't return forward. I can see the round not seated fully in the chamber.

Attached Files:

2. kyboy4u

kyboy4u New Member

Appears the extractor is keeping the round from seating

Attached Files:

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Is the extractor even over the rim? Did the round feed from a mag or was it placed in the barrel and the slide dropped on the round?

Sorry, I had eye surgery yesterday ad things are a bit fuzzy for me.

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

What sort of ammo?
    Some bullet designs will hit the rifling sooner than others. A 147 gr round may hit the rifling before being fully seated, whereas a 115 will likely drop right in w/ no drama. When you pull the round out are there rifling marks on the bullet? Not sure? Mark it with a sharpie or similar and try again. If yes, try a different ammo design and see if that fixes it.
    Rounds should drop unassisted, fully into the barrel (Google "Plunk Test") If it doesn't then there is a problem with either the ammo or the barrel.
    If, after your ammo passes the "plunk test," the pistol still doesn't want to go into battery without a fight, a call to Springfield is probably in order.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  5. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Prob'ly a dumb question, but did you dis-assemble and clean (and lube) this prior to noticing this?

6. kyboy4u

kyboy4u New Member

I did not disassemble prior to finding this issue. The gun was brand new. Only time it has ever been fired was the test round at the manufacturer. But I think ive figured it out to be an issue with the magazine. My other mags work flawlessly.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

All semi auto handguns are designed to load from the mag. Trying to force the extractor over the rim can break the extractor.

Have you tried different ammo? If the problem exists with another brand, then it is time to call customer service. trying to fix it yourself could void the warranty.