BP Vs Smokeless

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by WatchItGo, Oct 8, 2007.

1. WatchItGo

WatchItGo New Member

Is smokeless powder more powerful than BP?

2. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

3. rickrem700

rickrem700 New Member

Smokeless powder vs black powder

You guys scare the hell out of me, when you are talking about smokeless powder in a muzzle loader forum, I think what you are trying to say is pyropoop as powerful as black powder, you will strait blow your face off useing smokless powder in a muzzle loader, there's only one manufacturer that produces a muzzle loader that is capable of fireing smokeless powder, I can't remember who it is, I think it is Savage, and that gun is designed for it. DO NOT EVER USE SMOKLESS POWDER IN A MUZZLE LOADER, Pyrodex is measured in grains, and black powder is measured in volume, In equal volume ( Same amount of each ) pyrodex produses more pressure, but is harder to ignight, black powder is much more dangerous as it is an explosive, and pyrodex is an excellerant and much cleaner burning, I guess to answer your question pyrodex is more powerful, as you get same result as black powder with less product. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

4. alsaqr

Careful, there Rickey. Dont get your pants into a wad. i imagine i've been shooting muzzleloaders as long as you have. Yes, i do know not to shoot smokeless in a M/L. The man asked a very simple question and i answered it.

5. rickrem700

rickrem700 New Member

Careful, there Rickey

I was not trying to undermind your answer, or suggest that you did'nt know what powders to use, my concern was that he may not know what powders to use, and thought it wise to take it to the next level and inform him, that it could be, how should I say CADISTROPHIC, would not want to see that happen to anyone!!! Was not trying to step on anybody's toe's, please accept my appologies that was not my entension, Thank you Rickey.

6. alsaqr

No apology needed. Yes, it can be totally catastrophic to use smokeless in a M/L. Somewhere on the web is a picture of a muzzleloader that was blown up with smokeless. Will try to find it and post it.

7. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Black powder

Isn't all black powder residue water soluable - smokeless

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Black powder is a "deflagrating" explosive. The flame front when burning moves slower than the speed of sound. Smokeless powder may be based on nitroglycerin, nitrocellulose, or a combination of the two. Both the rate of burning, and the pressure curves generated are WAY the hell higher than Black Powder.

Why do you think we no longer use black powder for blasting rock? There are "more powerful" products out there.

Yes, most of the crud left by BP is water soluble- but a smidge of Dawn dishwashing liquid helps cut the grease.

If anyone wants to try loading up a muzzleloader with an ounce of so of Bullseye smokeless, could you please wait until the day after I go to the range? Seeing those stains on the concrete is just so damned depressing, and the pressure washers never seem to get it all out.......:rolleyes:

9. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

My Lord guys, this thread is 3 years old. :eek:

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Well oops kick me in the junk and call me a jackwagon.

11. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Ok, I'll pass on the kick but your a jackwagon. :cool: