Boyds stocks

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by clr8ter, Oct 26, 2014.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So, every time I go look at Boyds site, the gun I'm interested in does not have a stock listed. Take the Savage 93 FV SR, for instance. The 93 is listed in their lineup, but they don't break it down into specific models from there. I was also just at Houge's site, about the same thing. Does anyone have a clue as to how to decipher all this? Thanks

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Whatever it is, it's not a MKII. It's a 22 Mag. I would quote the specific SKU, but Savage's site isn't working right now.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not to be a wiseass, but you could ask Boyd's. They are a member here.

5. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

the Savage Mark II and the Model 93 use the same stocks. the difference is the magazine and the barrel channel.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=9811&cat=1216

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I didn't know that. What is their username? I'll PM them.

Warlock, if that stock fits the gun in question, that's cool. I like it. And, it's got an impressive number of custom options. Though, I'd have to say that the Pepper one might look real nice. Probably way better than the crappy plastic Savage stock. Too bad you couldn't opt out of the factory one...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Bad on me not realizing its a 22mag . Knowing that it is listed and I see warlock999 has it covered or one of 3 that's a click away.

8. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

it should, since i have my Model 93 mounted in one. but you need to also buy the Boyd's trigger guard and magazine plate as the Savage trigger guard won't work and the magazine plate would have to be modified.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You can also get the parts from Savage. I complained about the plastic stock on my wife's FV having too much drop for a scope and the fact that it had no irons so they sent me the parts free.

10. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

the factory trigger guard won't work on the Boyd's stock. i ordered one from Savage when i ordered the Boyd's stock. (the triggerguard is molded into the stock on the Savage synthetic stocks, so a new one is needed.) it didn't work and i ended up having to order the one offered by Boyd's to make it work.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Boyd's is one of our vendors- username
    BoydsGunstocks - what else? DO read the notes on their catalog page about checking dimensions AND changing some of the iron. They DO make some very pretty stuff.

12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

First off boyds makes all of savages wood stocks so they know what there doing with them and they do sell the same savage trigger guard that comes on wood rifles but your screws may or may not work . Or buy heavy duty metal work and screws from DIP or a stock kit and metal work . I bought the metal work and screws from DIP.
    Ordering from savage , You hope you get the right product issue.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3602

13. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

well i ordered the factory trigger guard for a wood stock from Savage and it's plastic and doesn't fit the Boyd's stock. the screws were not the problem.

the best bet is to order the trigger guard from Boyd's when you order the stock and do it one time.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Pretty good info here, thanks everyone. It sounds that although confusing, most of what you may want is there. I suspect it may be easier to simply call them on the phone, tell them what you want, and let them send you what you need.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

warlock99 I have read enough threw the years at a rim fire forum to know savage can screw up. That' why I wrote a warning about ordering from savage . Boyds buy's the right parts from savage / Can't help what savage did to you but can be expected. No parts list we can order from. Want parts that work Buy from boyds OR better metal from DIP. I did not say to order from savage.

16. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

my point was, that i should have just ordered the parts from Boyd's to begin with and i would have had all the right parts the first time, rather than having to re-order and wait for the other parts to arrive.

the triggerguard that Boyd's sells will fit their stock perfectly.

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Ok sorry . Got corn-fuzzed. I went thru the question and answer game with savage 3 or 4 years ago and it seem they have got'n no better . I was one of a guys that gave boyds a hard time for not having the lower parts needs at the time when I wanted a stock for a fv-sr . At the time I went with DIP. Glad I did as the metal for the mag area is far thicker and offers much better torque support than what savage comes with stock.