boyds gun stocks

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by joshfireart, Jun 28, 2010.

1. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

when i was a kid i took my dads 22 250to check my trap line. Was crossing a frozen pond slip and fell i broke the stock on both sides of the receiver. the cracks run from top rear angel down for a bout 2.5 inchs. my dad past away a bout 8 years ago and past the gun down to me. it still shoots real well but im wanting to put a new stock on it and im thinking boyd thumb hold stocks they look cool dose any one have any used them. local rifle maker said he bed it for me. the gun gose for cold -30 to + 70 a lot i pack it all winter

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

They make good stocks but as you noted they need to be bedded. What kind of rifle is it? Another place to get stocks that I've dealt with is Richards Microfit Gunstocks

3. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

its an old post 64 winchester sporter barrel

4. 50of4064

50of4064 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Have you given any thought to repairing the old stock ? The sentimental value ? Check this guy out. :Dstockmaker@q.com

5. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I recently put a Boyd's thumbhole on my wife's Marlin 60...it's NICE :D

I prefer doing a bedding job on new stocks anyway...if one is gonna go thru all the trouble to get a new stock, might as well hand-fit it and make it as good a fit as possible...it's not like bedding is difficult :)

I'm waiting for the next run of Marlin 60 stocks so I can replace the stock on my Glenfield 99-G (60 clone made for bigbox stores).