Boy suffers lead poison from pellets

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Jagermeister, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

2. orangello

orangello New Member

The article I read indicated that the kid said he had deliberately eaten some as part of playing a game.

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

"One important question to ask is, why not use copper pellets?" Zardawi said. The pellets used to kill the birds usually stay inside the animal, and the lead can be dangerous to other animals and to whoever eats the meat. The whole family had high levels of lead, he said. Hmmm.....

The last sentence is what caught my attention.

4. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Yep, when I think of all the games I played as a kid, never did I consider eating lead pellets are any other metal objects as a game.

Kids now days will make a game out of anything......:eek:

5. orangello

orangello New Member

That last sentence is eye-catching, but look at the source. The speaker isn't just a doctor (notoriously anti-gun) but an AUSTRALIAN doctor. So, the speaker is from an anti-gun profession and living in a country with some seriously overboard anti-gun laws. I'm not sure how much stock I put in that man's word, but it is somewhere down there with what the used car salesman tells you about his rustbucket offerings being driven only to and from bingo by an elderly car care enthusiast. The article didn't specifically state that the rest of the family had been tested for high lead levels.

It looks to me like the boy owned up to swallowing the pellets once he knew he was caught, and ONLY after he knew he was caught.

I don't hunt waterfowl or eat waterfowl, but I don't trust a biased doctor or government agency telling me it is unhealthy.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

In his defense, BB guns are probably hard to come by in Australia; so, what else did the kid have for "entertainment". Too bad, he could've been out culling rabbits while practicing his marksmanship, BUT OH NOES!!! that wouldn't serve "the greater good". Gun control FTL!

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Careful, this might get moved to the conspiracy section:eek: Well, I never trusted doctors myself. Long story. Let us just say they assume to much.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

So- Australia still permits the use of lead shot for WATERFOWL?

Been outlawed here in the US for several years. Non-toxic shot required- steel, Bismuth, etc.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Backwoods Aussie hillbilly white trash poachers too ignorant to NOT eat lead pellets. The whole family had high levels because they were too illiterate and uneducated to know better than eat lead shot. But, apparently not too ignorant to understand how to procreate.

11. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

That pretty much covers it. Some humans should not be allowed to breed.

Yep, i grew up in an era where all we had was lead shot for shotguns. All the damn paint contained lead, gasoline was loaded with tetraethyl lead: Hell, the toothpaste tubes were even made of lead. Our parents taught us that swallowing lead pellets or bullets, gnawing the paint off the walls, drinking gasoline and eating toothpaste tubes were verboten.

12. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Yep I can't say I understand this at all, when we were little we hunted with lead pellet and lead bullets but we knew to get every piece out possible and not to eat the meat around the bullet or wound channel. We always washed out hands after dealing with lead (which was a lot because we use to make our own weights for pine wood durby) we treated lead like it was arsenic still do.

I just don't see why in the hell kids would eat them as a game, or why they wouldn't pick out shot, it hurts my teeth when you find shot in my food which is rare but happens every blue moon.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

I remember hearing Mom tell my sisters about those very dangers........ :mad:

14. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Yup, I was highly exposed to all of those and more most of my childhood, prolly could have been a brain surgeon if I hadnt been lead headed as a kid! Mom always had a big ol can of DDT kicking around if their wasnt any lead to chew on. I was one of those kids that bit the split shot onto my fishing line, never thought twice about it; really, what kid carried pliers? I had a jackknife, lighter, smokes, a small creel and holes in my jeans, no place for tools!

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Wait! That was bad? :eek:

16. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Didn't the pioneers melt lead in the same pots they ate out of

17. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Then they traded them to the Indians...:eek:

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

But not you? Dang! Child abuse/neglect not tellng you too. You should sue. Maybe the homeowner's insurance y'all had from then will have to pay off. You certainly seem to have sufferred irreparable harm and mental anguish

19. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I think this family needs to win the Darwin Award!!

You can't tell me the whole family was not that smart to spit out the pellets. Or pick them out while you are cleaning the dam birds.