Boy, Did I Luck Out!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by cottontop, Jun 18, 2013.

1. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I have wanted a .257 Roberts to add to my collection for some time now. I was going to build one as I had a nice M96 Swedish action lying around; but as things happen, I traded it off in a weak moment. I thought about getting a new one and the only ones currently cataloging a Roberts is Ruger. I have a couple of Ruger No. 1's, so I am familiar w/ Ruger quality. But, my LGS could not locate one from any of their distributors.

I found a M77 Mark II on Gunbroker, bid on it, and won it. For $519 plus shipping, I think it was a good deal. When it arrived I could barely believe what good shape it was in. According to the serial number, it was made around 1999. It looked brand new w/ nary a scratch on it. I have read all of the negative reports on how bad the Ruger triggers are on the M77, so I had planned on buying and installing a new trigger. But, when I checked the trigger pull, I couldn't believe how nice it was. No creep or over travel and it broke at a crisp 2.5 pounds! Someone had obviously already done a trigger job on it.

I ordered a set of RCBS dies before the rifle came and made up some brass from .30-06 brass and loaded up 50 rounds of various powders and bullet weights to test. I mounted a Swarovski 3-10x on it and can't wait to try it out this Friday morning.

I believe the part that I lucked out about is the fact that the trigger is so nice!
    ct

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

We Need Pics!!!!!!!! Congrats!!

3. cottontop

cottontop Guest

JP, for some reason I have had trouble posting pics on this forum. When I try to post one, something different posts. Computers and me still don't get along even though I had to use one for years in my classroom before I retired.
    I will try.
    ct

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Very sweet! You need to open a photo bucket account. It is free. Easy to use. You can also keep you albums private if you choose. Great way to catalog firearms for insurance also.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

VERY nice! For pix, try this- When you are typing, there is a white smiley face above the words. To the right of smiley is a paperclip. Click paperclip, then browse. Click to where you have photo stored, click photo, open, and you are back to browse screen. click upload, wait, then close. NOW when you go back to paperclip, you will see file name on the dropdown. Click that, inserts photo. Sounds complex, only takes about 5 clicks.

6. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats on a very nice rifle.

7. HankStone

HankStone New Member

8. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Thanks JP, I will do that.
    ct

9. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Thanks for the info c3. That will help.
    ct

10. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Thanks Hank. Range report is coming. Will go to the range this Friday morning. The description of the rifle in the GB ad says that it has a 20" barrel. For that reason, I almost did not bid on it. After a little research, I found Ruger never made that model w/ a 20" barrel. It actually has a 22" barrel. Typo in the ad.
    ct

11. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I lucked out again. Upon closer examination of the gun, I found that it has had the action glass bedded and the barrel free floated (the old dollar bill under the barrel trick; the dollar slid all the way from the forend to the action). Now I really can't wait to shoot it. I would bet most anything that it will be very accurate.

If I still hunted, this might just be my go to rifle for everything. I knew an old guy years ago in Idaho who used to guide hunters. This guy had only one rifle for everything and used it to bag lots of elk, and BIG elk. His rifle was a Savage M99 in .250-3000 Savage. He would laugh at all of the inexperienced eastern and midwestern hunters who would come to hunt elk with 7mm Mags and .338 Mags and such. He said most of these guys flinched and could not shoot their big rifles accurately. He also said he had to track down many gut shot animals. He believed the .30-06 was the absolute maximum one should hunt with and that lesser cartridges were fine just because the hunter's chance of making a good shot placement was much greater. I guess he never read about all of the info on sectional density and b.c. and other useless info. He simply placed the proper bullet in the proper spot and that was it.
    ct

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Never underestimate what hungry people with limited prospects, education, means, options and experience are capable of doing.

Pretty gun despite the caliber...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  13. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Looks like a very nice rifle,sounds like you did good,Congrats!

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

15. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Range report. This rifle shoots just fine, however, I have a feeling it is going to be picky about loads it likes. With 87 grain bullets and H414 powder, it shot right at MOA, w/ some groups going around 11/4". With 117 grainers and RL19, it was a lot worse. I know it can shoot better than this. Next week, I'll try some 4350 and 4831. I should have started with that anyway.
    ct

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013