Boy bullied for "My little pony" bag. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by molonlabexx, Mar 17, 2014.

1. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

2. Vincine

Vincine New Member

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." e. e. cummings

"I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death." Leonardo da Vinci

Brave kid. I hope he's not killed before he gets to grow up. :(

(I hope he's not killed after he grows up either.)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014

3. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

ive told my son if you choose to be diffrent then be ready to fight for your beliefs,that is the world we live.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I know this will offend some here. But I believe men should be men and women should be women. Little boys should be taught to be little men. And little girls should be taught to be little ladies. Moms that let their little boys act like little girls are a big part of the problem. Absent fathers are an even bigger problem.

5. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

^^^if someone is offended by this they need there head checked.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

1. School needs to deal with the bullies
    2. The Kid needs to (BE ALLOWED) to deal with the bullies if they don't.

A rock in a sock can square some folks away. BTW, the whole MLP thing has a number of healthy MALE followers.

This is next to "you need to stop bringing lunch money to school. That way you won't get mugged in the hallway for your lunch money."

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Very well said!!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

8. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

While I can see the reasoning behind complying and practicing a "go along to get along" policy, this is strangely reminiscent of our gun problem. The BACKPACK (gun) is not the problem, the BULLYING (criminal behavior) is the problem. The school needs to get its students under control, and if not, then not punish (under Zero Tolerance Policy) the kid with the backpack if he does it himself.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Reminds me of my sister's father in law asking me why I own possessions that people can steal from me.

I'm one of the healthy male MLP fans. I do not sexually fantasize about the little girls that watch the show. I do not masturbate to the show. Yes, I'm being blunt about this because I hear the whispers and the rumors and the stereotypes.

My son also watches the show when he is able to (not owning a TV severely restricts TV time, believe it or not). He is anything BUT a little girl, no more so than I am. I've asked him why he likes it, and his answer was as simple as mine: It's entertaining. It has story lines and plot twists.

Have you SEEN the shows that are geared towards little boys these days? Most of them I simply wouldn't let my son watch, they have absolutely no value whatsoever other than loud noise and flashing lights. Ninjago is a pretty decent boy's show. My son watches it with my niece occasionally.

As far as this little boy carrying a MLP bag to school... hey, maybe that wasn't exactly the best idea if he wants to be "one of the guys". But how about, instead of drawing a hard line on, "this is how boys act, this is how girls act. This is what boys are allowed to like, this is what girls are allowed to like." Why can't we teach our children to not be *** holes to one another? Hmm? Or maybe you want your wife barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen, making sandwiches?

What about your daughter? Want her to be restricted in her dreams and aspirations because they aren't "Ladylike"? Whatever. I'm the son of a Woman Coal Miner who's a black belt in shotokan who I've seen beat the ever loving hell out of a man twice her size when he tried to push her around. I dated and was engaged to (for a while) a pretty bad *** female diesel mechanic. I'm a Marine combat veteran who has a knitting project: a rainbow scarf and sweater for my niece, and one of my life goals is to create the most bad *** rose gardens anyone's ever seen.

My son watches the show and wants to be a weapons or aircraft designer. At least, that's his dream at 8 years old. Considering he's built functional spring loaded lego guns (from legos, and firing legos) at the ripe old age of 6, I don't think that's such a far fetched dream. He goes ape over military museums, wears camo, and loves to help the neighbor butcher wild game, and can detail strip my 1911 as well as I can (after I remove the recoil spring plug, his fingers just aren't strong enough).

Again, I say... why teach our children to conform to the standards expected? Why not teach them to change the standard? Instead of teaching our kids that little boys don't carry a MLP backpack... let's teach them not to be a ****ing douche about it.

FAIL. On the part of the bully's parents. NOT the parent of the bullied.

For the record, my son carries a camo back pack. And he has pink pencils. For the very simple and logical reasoning, "so no one will steal them... except girls, and that's okay, I like girls."

10. orangello

orangello New Member

11. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I'm not offended, I think you've the right to believe whatever you want. I just don't think that people not believing what you believe is a problem. Not for me anyway. I think the more people that think differently, from you, from me, and others, the more we'll be able to meet the challenges ahead. There has never been an advance in humankind that was made by people who believed the same thing everybody else believed.

As far as absent fathers being an even bigger problem, I'd have to agree. The largest percentage of single mothers is in the black population. It's of epidemic proportions. One only has to look at all the fatherless young black males to see how gentle and feminine they all are. It's a big problem.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

What gets me is how is a child's backpack national news? It is hard enough on the child going through the process of learning to be cool without his backpack all over the internet and other media outlets.

Part of the blame falls on the boys parents. Telling your kid he is going to catch hell carrying his lunch in a girls knapsack should not be a hard conversation to have with a child.

Many adults have a hard time dealing with bullies. They let people abuse them and do nothing in the name of getting along. I see no need to get along with people who deserve a spanking like a 5 year old.

14. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Isn't there an MLP Army Cavalry Insignia? If I still had my studio I'd design one. Maybe something along these lines. Maybe not.

Attached Files:

15. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I hope the boy tells the school district to shove it where the sun don't shine, by wearing his backpack to school. That takes 10X more balls than any bully or school district sheep can handle, IMHO.

16. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I agree 100%! I think he's kind of asking for it too. No way is the bullying justified but he is playing with and wearing girly backpacks. When I was his age I was playing with air soft guns, gi joes and wrestling not playing with ponies. I also disagree with his mom, I think wearing a short skirt is part of the problem for women, if a girl walks around in a not so great area with her boobs hanging out and a mini skirt, shes kind of asking for trouble. I don't walk around with a stack of money in the open because I feel id be screaming "hey come rob me".

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

After seeing this on the News as well as here on the FTF. I have to say I have two views of the issue. First of all mental state of a child created by the child's surroundings can have a bearing on their view as far as maturity. And the mother should be intelligent enough to know that at the age of 9 years old taking a Little Pony Bag to school as a boy might create an issue for the child. A substitute would have been a good choice before it came to this. Like finding something else the child liked and get an appropriate bag suited for a new subject. Do not get me wrong bullying is and should not ever be accepted by the school administrators and teachers under any circumstance. But as one here previously mentioned it seems to be very obvious that this is a single mother and wants to keep her son as a little boy and treat him as one. I believe there is not a father image in the home and worse can happen than being bullied for a back pack. Sometimes children that are babied and female protected far beyond normal have severe problems later in life and with emotional issues as well. Maybe the school might be doing the child a favor? However the child's emotional state are very delicate in these issues and it takes an intelligent person to shape and direct the issue to a positive resolve. And quite frankly I do not think it is the mother in this case. I am sure she loves her son and means well but actually is contributing to a problem both at the present and in the future if she continues down this road in my opinion! Some of us had a paper routes, mowed yards and was learning to grow up at 9 years old not coddled but no doubt loved by our parents.

18. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Boy needs to grow a pair

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Holy ****! One question was brought up, why is this national news? Damn good question.

But why are some of you blaming the boy for the bag he chooses to carry?

In college, we had a male who wore a skirt so short his (small) penis was showing. He threw a fit for being bullied by the police, but the charge was indecene exposure.

THIS IS NOT THE SAME THING. It's a damn bag. He is NOT "asking for it". If I were in his parents place, I most definitely would have informed him that, yes, he will catch hell for it, and he'd better be prepared to deal with it. But that in no way means that he shouldn't do what makes him happy. The bigger issue are the parents of the A-hole not teaching their kid that "hey, guess what? Don't be a jerk, jerk."

20. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I think the kid is well aware that his backpack isn't the most manly pack out there but chooses to take it to school anyway because he likes it. Maybe it is even the principle of the thing. I remember wearing a little baseball hat to school one year and when kids told me that girls weren't supposed to wear them, I just wanted to wear it more to show them they were wrong. If I had a nine year old son, I think I would gently steer him toward a different backpack or at least explain that some people might say it is girly, but if he still liked it so much he was willing to deal with that, I wouldn't stop him from choosing it. Telling a kid that his choice of backpack is responsible for the way he is being treated is basically taking the blame off of the real problem- other kids who are acting like jerks. He is not a man choosing to walk through the bad part of town with wads of cash- he is only nine years old.

My brother did something similar as a child. He found this awful, giant laser tag eighties baseball hat at a yard sale (it had batteries and a flashing light on the front.) It was hideous but he absolutely loved it and my parents let him wear it on the school bus. (He was expected to take it off at school.) I think my mom probably did warn him first that other kids might pick on him if he wore it. I know some of the kids laughed at him but he didn't care what other people thought. I think there is some value in being willing to go against the grain despite what others think instead of just following everyone else to fit in.