bowling pins for targets

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by winds-of-change, Jun 14, 2014.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I belong to a local classified ads page on Facebook. Someone is selling bowling pins 10 for $20. I know bowling pins are sometimes used for targets. Does anyone want me to pick some up for them? I believe they are quite heavy and would be expensive to ship but I would be willing to keep them for someone who will be at the Shoot and Hoot, for anyone who lives near me or near Balota. Let me know if you are interested.

2. therukh

therukh New Member

I never use bowling pins for pistol or rifle targets. Too dangerous for me. Thanks anyway. They may be useful for shotguns using birdshot, but not for anything I shoot.

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Plastic re-sealable pins are now available. I used to do the Bowling Pin shoots In the mid-80's to the mid 90's....If I had the space to use them i'd pay for the shipping...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. winds-of-change

How are they dangerous? Aren't there bowling pin shoots?

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

The shell on a real bowling pin is extremely hard. Unless you penetrate the shell the bullet will ricochet. We have bullets come back from time to time at our matches. The colder it is the harder the shell is. In the warmer months it is less of a problem. If I were closer north to you I would come get some.

6. winds-of-change

To be honest, if you call any bowling alley I think you'll be able to get some. I'm getting mine from an ad in a classified forum. The woman who ran the ad owns a bowling alley and she said they replace all the pins every three years and they have cases of pins in storage. I'll bet if you call a bowling alley they will have some pins they can sell you.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  7. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

We shoot bowling pins in Bowling Pin matches several times a year. A total blast!! The matches are shot with handguns at 15 yards. I took first place a couple of months ago at one with my Glock 34. Most people prefer to shoot those matches with a .45 for the "knock down" power but I won the entire tournament with a 9mm.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

People with garden variety 115s can have issues now & again. I shot a few times with my CZ just to see how it would work; cast 147s, no problem. They don't leave the table with the same sense of urgency as w/ .45 or the 180 gr .357s, but they work fine.

9. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I used 147 gr. for the match. I knew I'd need more mass to compete with the 230 gr. .45's. Worked out just fine for me.

10. RKB

RKB Member

At the last bowling pin match that I attended (visiting a friend, I'm not a comp shooter) I heard too many ricochets. Several of them departed the range, from the sound of it. So did I, I have no desire to be shot, accidentally or not. IMHO they are too dangerous as targets. YMMV

11. uanda

uanda New Member

gotta use jhp ammo on them. the "skirt" of the hp "digs into" the plastic better. ball and lrn are very prone to just glance off of them, leaving 'dead wood" on the table. If any entrant is much good, you can't win unless you get all 5 pins off the table with 5 shots.