Bow quest continues

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by NGIB, Jul 28, 2010.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I had picked up the spiffy PSE bow package from my buddy and I liked it and shot it pretty well (for a beginner). I was talking to my son and he decided that he wanted it as he'd like to begin the sport so I was without again. As I never intend to hunt and since I've learned a bit about bows I went in another direction. I wanted a longer bow more setup for target shooting than hunting. A longer bow provides the option to shoot with your fingers instead of relying on a release also.

This one arrived the other day that I got from a moderator on the big archery forum. It's a Martin RazorX, 45-60#, 30.5 draw (fits perfectly), and I got a really good deal on the bare bow with a hard carry case. Hope to shoot this one some this weekend while I'm up in SC. One of my first projects at my new abode will be to build a backstop in the backyard so I can shoot safely there...

Attached Files:

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Man, the science of those things have come a LONG ways since I was shooting an old recurve in the backyard at two bails of hay. :eek:

That's a nice looking bow you got there NGIB. Are you planning on doing some hunting with your new found skills, or just the next challenge to keep the mind and body going?

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

No sir, no hunting for me as I get all the meat I need from Kroger. This is just something else I can use to punch holes in paper...

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Kind of how I feel about it as well. Good tool should you ever need to use it though. Good on you for stretching your limits. :D

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Ammo is expensive, arrows are reusable.

(The ones I don't lose or destroy anyway:D)

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I find target shooting a bow very calming and almost spiritual.

As Kwi Chang said, "Be the arrow"

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I believe he also said "Yeah, a little tighter, a little tigh.....*ACK, ACK, ACK*" :eek:

8. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Pickin on a dead guy.:eek: Shame

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You didn't chuckle?

10. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

No!

I LOL:D

11. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Thats cool! I like the look of that bow!

12. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I shot a Martin Maverick for years, very good bows. Used it for league and hunting. So how does that paper taste and does it ever get tender? Put lots of game in the freezer with that bow and that's entirely spiritual.

13. JonathanGlass

JonathanGlass New Member

you're missing a cable slide

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Ah, OK. It's a shoot through cable system...

15. JonathanGlass

JonathanGlass New Member

:cool: i'd still put one on if I were you

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

aluminum is the way to go in the begining. cheap to practice with very cheap. destroy a few or lose em no biggee. once your smacking the bull repeatedly is when to start looking at higher perform arrows if you must. carbon fiber arrows on some really powerful bows starting tugging on the pants of lower end handgun rounds in power.

17. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

At the shop we don't sell many aluminum arrows anymore. You can get a dozen carbon arrows with tighter tolerances than aluminum arrows for about the same price as Easton XX 75s aluminum arrows. The nice thing about carbon fiber arrows is they don't need to be re straighten.

A more important factor when it come to arrows is matching the shaft's spline with you draw weight and draw length. Too light an arrows is akin to dry firing the bow.

Go carbon or stay home. Joe