bow help

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by jjfuller1, Oct 31, 2011.

1. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i understand this is a firearms forum but i thought there might be a good amount of bow knowledge as well. i have been using my uncles hand me down compound. its probly 10 years old or more. so i was thinking of getting myself a new bow in the future. i was curious of if there are better brands. or ok brands and what makes the differences. ive always shot fingers with every bow. longbow, recurve and compound. and i am probly going to try a release. any tips on those might be helpful as well.

2. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Im just getting into competition archery myself, so dont know much about squat, but i can tell you , my new PSE is smooth and consistant. I use a WINN FREE FLIGHT C-10 release, it fits on your hand like a glove, little pricey $75, but i like it better than the other ones i have tried. My best advice to you ,is go to a BASS PRO, CABELLAS, ETC, where they have someone trained to properly fit the bow to you, makes all the difference in the world.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Really have no experience with any bow whose design is later than 1400 AD, but these folks do: 15 Best Compound Bows for 2011, Part 2

Looked up images of some of those bows. Good Grief! They would look right at home being caried by Mr. Spock on his home planet, or by an evil Jedi Knight!

4. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I like longbows and recurves myself,, you seem familiar with them and it seems you want to go to a compound. Nothing wrong with a compound, I just think traditional equipment is more fun to use and alot less complicated.
    Go with what you know,, but also head down to an archery shop and get help. Most places are more than happy to give you any assistance they can.

Good shooting,
    Jeff

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

The cool thing about many archery shops is that you can try it in store before you buy. So try a few out. I did and ended up with a Diamond bow. It's a great fit and I knew it before I paid for it.

6. readygirl

readygirl New Member

LOL...You crack me up shooter, but have to agree with you on this one, except, jedi knights arent evil, they are the good guys.

7. unclebear

unclebear New Member

well there are tons of bows out there and really, to be honest I've been shooting the same bow for over 10 years, the best bows I have own are made by Martin and Pearson. My current bow is a Pearson Spoiler I've shot it for going on ten year now and the only thing I've really have had to replace on it have been the cable guide and arrow rest.

The best thing I can really tell you is if your going to start shooting with a release it's better to buy one before you get a brand new bow so you can get use to it before you drop the cash for a new one. Also the best way I've bought a bow is I've just gone to my local shop and just started picking them up when I found one that felt really good in my hands I test fired it and after that was pretty good I just bought it.

As far as different types of releases there I've really only used two different type wrist strap with a trigger and hand held release, I would suggest going with a wrist strap release just because you'll have less chance of launching the release with the arrow.

I've been shooting since I was 5 at least with a compound I'm not an expert but if you have question PM me also a good forum is ArcheryAddix Forums • Addix Portal

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Alright this ones my expertise . First off how much money do you want to spend , are you willing to keep your old accessories and put them on your new bow , if so you will have more money to spend on the bow , If not you will need to spend a little bit on new accessories . DOnt get wrapped up in this bow is better than that bow BS , Shoot what feels good in your hand and is the smoothest drawing , and dont get wrapped up in the speed crap either , faster bows are louder , every time , I shoot a bowtech general at 60# and it is super super quiet , I have owned hoyt, bowtech , mathews, martin , rytera, PSE, darton, alpine, Parker ,Bear , Diamond , and probably a few others I cannot remember .
    Remember, the bow must feel not just good but must feel great in your hand or you will never have the confidence every shot to put it in the X ring .
    Are you wanting it for hunting or target shooting ? because target shooters normally shoot a longer axle to axle bow for better stability and balance . Hunters usually prefer bows 33" ata and under . Single cams are normally a little quieter and easy to keep in tune ,
    ALso just because stuff looks cool and is more expensive doesnt mean its he best equipment . Keep it simple and it will work flawless,

I will say this from personal experience do not buy a QAD drop away rest especially the cheap one, I have replaced more of these than you could imagine , They dont always drop and after a few times of this they really dont work right , If you want a good drop away buy a limb driver , they dont have a choice they have to work right because of the setup , and there very easy to set up ,
    A sight is a sight but Im not a big fan of plastic sights , buy one with steel pins and it will last forever , Extreme, or viper makes these and they are fabulous and priced fairly .
    Quivers are just quivers , you really dont need one that will hold over 3 arrows your only going to get one shot anyway , 2 if your lucky . adn this is another one where you can easily drop $100 that you dont need too.

There really isnt a bad bow out there , the most expensive isnt the best by any means ,
    Find a dealer willing to set some up and let you shoot them, if there not willing, dont waste your time there find a new shop

I have won many local indoor 5 spot shooting comps and few top 5s outdoor 3D . If you have any questions give me a shout
    Scott

9. fmj

fmj New Member

Some good and some not so good advice here.

First, stay the hell away from big box stores like cabelas, Ass pro, gander etc!! Find a local pro shop or two and shoot 'em all, when your done shooting them all, shoot em all again and find what feels and shoots best FOR YOU!

As mentioned previuosly, dont get caught up in the name brand/price hype.The technology is come to a point today there is little difference in brands.

PH dogged out the QAD drop away rest. I mightily disagree with this assessment. I have one on my Growler. It works and has worked flawlessly for 3 seasons now. I would HIGHLY suggest a drop away rest...i would even suggest the QAD. Avoid the whisker bisquits like the plague. I am NOT a fan!

I would also recommend a release for sure. A good wrist strap release with an adjustable trigger.

Any other questions feel free to ask.... i am far from an expert, but have been archery hunting almost as long as i have been gun hunting. I have hunting with a Bear Kodiak recurve. A Martin Fire cat (I still miss using that bow but the limbs started stress cracking and had to be retired due to not being able to find limbs for the dinosaur) I am now shooting a Growler by Reflex.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Im not dogging it , I have just not had good experiences with them and mainly the cheaper models , This could be that the shop that previously set it up set it up improperly and by the time I get them to my shop there already broken , and as advised stay away from the whisker biscuit and any other rest like it , Trigger release for sure , this is a accuracy thing and you will want one anyway , Same thing on these they can be bought for $40 -$200 and most all of them serve the same purpose , I will say this I have shot around 50 different releases and I just dont shoot a hand held release as well as a wrist release but thats personal preference , Truball triggers are a little smoother than a trufire , Cobra used to make a Mamba R1 that was the nuts , super smooth and light trigger which I like but Mine retired after a couple yrs for a newer model . Try them out also and see what you like also , Same deal on the big box stores , stay away if you can , find a good archery shop that knows what there doing ,proper setup , and get you shooting properly and decent before you ever leave the store .
    This is a confidence thing if you dont like the bow you wont shoot it well ,
    I have a friend that is a mathews junkie , he doesnt shoot a mathews worth a crap , he doesnt like the grip or the spongy wall but continues to go back to mathews because he is a fan boy . He shot a PSE one season and shot it very very well unfortunantly he went back to his fanboy ways and its a complete repeat of his past .

Buy whats in your price range and what feels best to you , dont buy it for the name or looks or youll be in my buddies shoes

11. Tinytim

Tinytim New Member

As already said try to find a local pro shop. I shoot a Redhead Kronik( yes I know its from Bass Pro) I couldn't find a bow in my draw length at the pro shop because I'm not done growing and I'm very short, so I got this and had it set up at my pro shop. I like Kwikee Kwivers because the are good quality for a low price and are easily taken off to shoot. Toxonics sights are some of the best. Currently am using a NAP Quick Tune 360 rest, but I just recently switched from a whisker biscuit. Whisker biscuits are good but a little noisy. That's what I use but basically what it comes down to is what feels best and is in your price range.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  12. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife and I both bow hunt, and we both own Parker bows. I agree with most of the advice in the other posts. The two main things to remember are:

1. Price. Go with what you like best, but keep your cost reasonable. Check to see if the bow you are interested in is available in a ready to shoot package (sight, Quiver,and rest included),see what the shop has in used bows and close outs in stock. Any reputable shop will inspect every bow that is offered as a trade in, and they are excelent deals. My used Buck hunter was $348 3 years ago used, was $499 when new, and was an RTS package. My wife's Side kick Ran $305 as a close out RTS package.

2. What feels right to you. Ask to try every bow you are interesed in. If the shop won't let you, leave and look for a better shop. The wife and I went to a shop in our area and were ingnored by the staff for half an hour when we were looking for a new bow for me. When the "expert" finaly greeted us and found out that I needed a left handed bow he snotily stated, "We don't get enough requests for them to even bother with them." Needless to say, we have not been back.:mad:
    We drove an hour away to another shop where they were far more profesional, and let me try 3 different bows and 2 releases. Can you guess where I purchased from? Three months later, we went there again and they did the same for my wife with her new bow, and gave her $150 trade in on her old bow. Both bows are perfect fits, and we have less than $900 into both incuding arrows, broadheads and cases.

The reason s we went with Parkers, Price, Quality, press free length adjustment, and easy maintanence. Just my $.02, go with what's right for you.

Figure out what you want, find a good shop, and enjoy. :)