Bov

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by lbwar15, Jul 4, 2012.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I have seen threads on bug out bags, weapons and gear, even some bug out plans. I have not seen to much on bug out vehicles.

So here it is. In your opinion what would be the best vehicle to have? A big f-250 to push stuff out the way, something 4x4 with big tires to go places others can't, maybe a sports or muscle car for those quick git aways. How about the mighty m35 Duce and a half? What's more important to you, mpg,power, speed? Even tho the Duce is a multi fuel vehicle it gets some pretty crapy mpg could you really count on there being enuf fuel to power it to be around? You might no be able to just pull up at the pump and fill up.

2. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I really haven't thought to much on a BOV. But me and my closest friends and family have a bug out location in the middle of nowhere...we plan on meeting there and working together. I'd say just as long as I can make it to said location I'd be ok. We have a couple ATVs in a barn at that location that would suffice for any transportation we needed.

But for sake of the thread I'd like to have a jeep.

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

i'm secretly working on one of these ;) :p

Attached Files:

4. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

It's not a secret now lol. You about as good at keeping a secret as Victoria is lol.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

4wd SUV or truck with a camper shell, oversize all terrain tires, winch, mild lift kit, brush and grille guard would be some of the things i think might needed in a BOV.

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

The reason I started this thread was bc of a truck that passed me a few months ago. Black f-250 with a ram on the front and a sticker that said zombie apocalypse vehicle on the 1/4 panel.

7. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

The unfortunant truth is that, much like firearms themselves, you will likely not find a "one-size-fits-all" solution.

Sometimes you need that f-950 with a 12 cylinder motor (.50 BMG) and sometimes you need a bike because its quicker than walking but a lot quieter than a car (.22 handgun).

Just my .02

8. BallisticSurgeon

BallisticSurgeon New Member

I have been leaning towards an early 90s model Jeep Wrangler. Small and agile for manuveuring, not horrible on gas, can be used off road when necessary and the maintenance is fairly easy on them to keep them running as long as you have fuel.

9. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Seems like a great compromise. As an added bonus to your deduction, the Wrangler is a fairly common vehichle, at least around here, and spare parts should be plentiful which is great when coupled with the ease of maintainance.

Might consider a 90's cherokee for more room with the inline 6 cylinder as well.

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I agree +1

11. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I already have one. It's a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Has the 4.6L V8 (gets around 16 town and 22 hwy). I put on a 4 inch lift, 31x12.5 tires on steel rims, otherwise it is stock and will stay that way. Plenty of room for our two kids and the dog (sorry cat you're on your own) and enough cargo room to bring what we need (basket up top ads a ton of space). The upside is that there are hundreds of thousands of these things on the road, parts are easy to find and it is actually not bad to work on (a 8,10,12,13 and 15mm socket and a couple screwdrivers will fit 90% of the fasteners). It tows good and handles half decent, it will go through mild to moderate terrain with ease. It is my hunting/fishing rig that pulls double duty.

12. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Best to stay home

A flat tire, wire wrapped axel, a puncterd radiator

Two of the pictures are from the Balkans conflict of the 1990's, they found it was easy to throw up road blocks and stop vehicles, roving patrols and outposts on high ground cut down allot of back country travel, contending with local farmers cooperating with the local gun toters to ensuer ther continued survival (work for us or die).

I grew up rural, we had trespassers cross our property allot during the diffrent hunting seasons, they useally ended up walking into our place for a extraction after they made a bunch of mistakes and buried their vehicles to the axel trying to follow seasonal trails and crossing fields & pastures that were only passible during the dryest part the year & winter.(We made a bit of Money off foolish tresspassers just on extraction cost and the charge for torn up pasture the hunter rarely got off for less than $300)wouldent be much of a stretch imagining how to bottle neck the country side as effectively as roads and highways, bluffs, washouts, cutbanks, marshes, tree groves, creek & stream fords and levy roads, fire roads and section lines, Water Holes in dry country.

A stranger can waste allot of gas and time back tracking trekking through unfamiliar country, the bigger and heavyer the vehicle the harder to cross certain types of ground or extract.

Two pic's are of fires caused by vehicles.
    Modern Vehicles with catalytic converters traversing grass country have caused more than just a few range fires, burning hundreds of acres, and burning up vehicles in the process.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

How about an RV? It can tow a smaller vehicle like a Jeep or Bronco, plus I can load up everything I need for a long time on the road, main fuel tank holds 125 gallons of diesel and I am installing a couple of reserve tanks, propane generator on board, solar PV on the roof, around-the-world short-wave radio communications capability, fully self-contained home on wheels!

The plan is to bug in here at home, but if there is some catastrophic event that necessitates leaving I am taking the RV.

14. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

off road vehicle

Attached Files:

15. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Its a thought but makes you a huge lumbering target for just about anyone that may want what ever you have inside.

Best bet IMO would be to find somewhere very secluded to park it and just use it as a hideout, using the smaller vehichle to move around (would be even better if your other vehichle was diesel and had a way to transfer from the RV to roving vehichle as needed)...

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yeah, there is that. But that is only a concern if the SHTF includes total social breakdown like in the movies. If that is the case I will be bugging in, not out.

I would like to have a diesel Jeep or Bronco, but unless I build it myself that is not to be. Maybe someday. I am also thinking of an electric vehicle charged by solar so I wouldn't have to worry about fuel availability.

Here is what I would like to build, in one way or another.

http://www.rockymountains.net/~m38mike/electrowillys.html

17. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Thats not a bad idea but in the long run diesel would be more dependable, repairable, and replacable IMO.

Nice to get the juices going though!

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Currently that may be true, but electric is becoming more and more dependable and available. As for repairable, electric has far fewer ways to fail and is easier to repair if you know what you are doing. Think about it this way, there are no oil changes, timing sets or valvetrain. You don't have to worry about contaminated fuel or fuel availability. Maintenance on an electric is pretty much tires and batteries. Oh, and the mechanical brakes, especially for vehicles that don't have regenerative braking. All factory new electric cars have primarily electric regenerative braking with the mechanical brakes as backup. This will soon be available for conversion vehicles as well.

Another benefit is that electric vehicles are nearly silent, especially at low speeds! Talk about stealthy!

The only downside is range and time to recharge, but even those are becoming less and less of an issue as time goes on.

19. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Now your talking my language!

Until such a time as electrics are caught up with diesels I will stick to diesels simply because I do know how to work on them.

I know next to nothing about electrical :p

20. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

The problem with any vehicle is its only as good as long as you have fuel to run it.
    If I have to bug out I plan on using Horse power. I have twenty or so to chose from.