bought my first WWII 1911 a1 ithica today

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by tankwilson, Dec 28, 2013.

1. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

Stopped in the gun shop a few weeks ago just browsing. Spotted a US Army ithica 1911. It was super sweet and super old and expensive $1300. Went home and tried to forget about it but three weeks later I was still bit so I called to see if it was still there. Yes. He had sold and bought it back and was gonna sell it cheaper. Long story short I bought it today for $950 and love it. Ran the numbers and discovered it was prob made in 1945. Just put 50 rounds through it and shoots great. Looks better inside than out but I bought it for its history and to shoot.

ForumRunner_20131228_223133.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

now that's just sweet! congrats on the new (old!) 1911! very nice looking!:D

3. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

Yea she's got some wear and I could have bought a new 1911 cheaper but if I have to explain..... U get the idea

4. Axxe55

Tank, no explanation is needed! that is one very cool pistol. it's got history. be nice if you knew it's history, but it's still very cool. :D

5. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

Yea. How can I find out more?

6. Axxe55

not for sure. maybe contact Colt. maybe they could point you in the right direction. just an idea.

7. VoxRomantic

VoxRomantic Member

Very f-ing cool!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!

8. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

It is awesome to own a gun that actually defended freedom instead of a copy of one. Great find. Every scratch probably has a story behind it!

10. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

Yea I found out more today. It has never been rebuilt like most did and also it has a stock ithaca grip on one side and possibly a colt on the other. She's still nice and tight too.

I'm looking for an original WWII holster and magazines too

11. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

That's a beauty and as others have said,owning a piece of history like that is priceless!

Great find :cool:

12. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

You are very fortunate to own a piece of american history.

Congrats.

Wish more people realized the significance of that 1911.
    I qualified with one in 1966. US Army.

Jim

13. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

To a certain extent I hope I don't pass anyone off but I plan on shooting and carrying it on a regular basis. I just wish I could find out more about the history of this particular pistol.

14. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

That's what they were made for shooting and carrying :)

A friend of mine had a Colt 1911 from WW1. He carried that pistol everywhere and during the winter months shot at the range once or twice a week,that Colt went everytime.

Enjoy your 1911

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  15. trip286

trip286 New Member

My grandfather's Colt had a serial number that puts it in the second run of 500 units to leave the factory in 1912. Actually, the serial number on it is 5XX (I just refuse to mention the full number).

He carried it, or kept it nearby as his SD gun, at all times. Shot it pretty regularly. Had it professionally serviced a few times for deep cleanings and spring replacements, I think a few worn and broken parts were replaced over the years. Don't remember if it had ever been refurbished, restored, or whatnot. I know it was in near PRISTINE condition the last time I laid eyes on it.

My dad has it now. He carries a little .380 Ring of fire gun (i.e. jiminez, bryco, raven, something of that type, generally considered a cheap throwaway gun) but he still keeps the old warhorse handy, either in his truck or nightstand.

Point is, who gives a damn if it pisses someone off that you actually intend to use it? It's YOUR gun, do what you want to with it. Personally, I would kinda frown on customizing it, but that's just me, and I damn sure wouldn't even think to tell you that you shouldn't do it!!!!

That gun has likely been through WAR. Most likely more than one!!! It's likely saved some American soldier's life (or some idiot American soldier may have used it for an early ticket home from vietnam by punching a hole in his leg with it, you just never can tell!!!)

Point is... It was made to be man's final line of defense. In my opinion, it'd be disrespectful to not honor by carrying it.

16. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

Get this....I was checking out ebay for an original holster and found a custom made one with a cool story from a friend of the guy that use to own the holster. Seller is in AZ and I did some home work on the guy he said owned the holster. Come to find out the original owner is from the town I live in. Wow.

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

That's pretty neat man. I can't imagine the history its been through. Although based on its manufacture year I would prolly rule out WWII. But Korea and Vietnam are both well within possibilities.

Who knows?

Either way its wonderful and I would be honored to add a similar to my collection one day.

18. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

$950 would be a bargain in my area, a 1946 Ithica M1911 in about 40 to 50% condition sold for $1,500 at a recent auction not including the buyers 15% premium and 6% sales tax.

I have seen the 1940's M1911 holsters on ebay. I was fortunate to have found the correct holster in excellent condition on ebay for my US Army Colt Model 1901 .38LC.

I would also suggest that you visit the 1911 forum.